FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing lav mic for the Sony DWT-B01 wireless transmitter

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
Choosing lav mic for the Sony DWT-B01 wireless transmitter
on Oct 21, 2015 at 1:49:18 pm

My entire history as a DP with audio gear has involved Sonotrim lavs, which I found produced all around great sound for news and documentary work (they also cut well with a 416 boom in my experience).

I am now configuring a refurbished 2-channel Sony wireless system (DWR-S01D in-camera receiver, DWT-B01 transmitters)), which unhelpfully shipped without microphones. This is the first time I have dealt with Sony wireless audio, and I see that they rely on a Sony 4-pin (SMC9-4P) connector.

Does anyone have experience with the stock Sony lav (c) for this application, and if so, would you recommend going with that, or instead perhaps buying a lav mic that you consider better performance? My needs will continue to be exclusively news and documentary type work.

I'm trying to avoid sending mics out to have their terminations altered, as we're thin here in the DC area for tech resources that can do this in a timely manner (in fact I don't think we have any at this point).

Grant Peacock
Washington DC

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Choosing lav mic for the Sony DWT-B01 wireless transmitter
on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:41:34 pm
Last Edited By Bruce Watson on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:44:00 pm

[Grant Peacock] "buying a lav mic that you consider better performance? My needs will continue to be exclusively news and documentary type work.

I'm trying to avoid sending mics out to have their terminations altered, as we're thin here in the DC area for tech resources that can do this in a timely manner (in fact I don't think we have any at this point)."

I've got no experience with the Sony lavs, so can't offer any help there.

You might want to consider the Oscar SoundTech 802, which is a Tram TR50 clone. OST will terminate it just about any way you want. Call them and talk to them about your application. I've found them to be pretty helpful.

Tram also sells its lavs with various terminations, including the Sony.

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
Re: Choosing lav mic for the Sony DWT-B01 wireless transmitter
on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:31:41 pm

Thank you Bruce, very helpful.

By the way, I stumbled upon a pretty interesting side-by-side test today of low cost mics :

(thank you Blake for posting this).

I was impressed with the performance of a $30 lav mic (made by JK MIC), and am going to order some in, for testing in the field, with Sonotrims as backups. Yet to be seen is whether these can be had in the configuration that I need.

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]