FORUMS: list search recent posts

boom monitoring

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
boom monitoring
on Oct 14, 2015 at 7:15:16 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Oct 14, 2015 at 9:27:45 pm

Our standard production set up is to use an xlr cable from boom mike to SD 302 mixer and a sennheiser G2/3 transmitter to the camcorders G2/3 receiver.

Would one of these of the same frequency range

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618925-REG/Sennheiser_EK_300_IEM_G3_A...

do the trick for the boom pole operator to monitor the sound being received by the camera?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: boom monitoring
on Oct 14, 2015 at 8:05:09 pm

Would it? Probably. But there are easier and cheaper ways.

The "classic" way is to use an SD MM-1. Feed your boom pole mic to the MM-1, monitor it with your headphones. Send line-level to the 302. This is done all the time. The reason it is, is that it allows the boom op good control over the headphone gain. This in turn lets the boom op clearly hear what needs hearing from the boom op's perspective. This is a good thing.

If you really want to hear the feed at the camera, all you need is another receiver (a duplicate of the camcorder's EK-100 G3 receiver). Tune it to the same frequency as the transmitter, and you can receive the exact same feed as the camera. The EK-100 gives you a mic-level signal. Depending on the sensitivity of your headphones, you may need a headphone amplifier, the SD receiver may not have enough power for your particular application. I've never done this myself, so YMMV.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: boom monitoring
on Oct 14, 2015 at 9:20:47 pm

[Bruce Watson] "If you really want to hear the feed at the camera, all you need is another receiver (a duplicate of the camcorder's EK-100 G3 receiver). Tune it to the same frequency as the transmitter, and you can receive the exact same feed as the camera. The EK-100 gives you a mic-level signal. Depending on the sensitivity of your headphones, you may need a headphone amplifier, the SD receiver may not have enough power for your particular application."

this is exactly what

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618925-REG/Sennheiser_EK_300_IEM_G3_A...

is. a second receiver that is designed to allow a headphone to monitor.

I think maybe I copied the wrong BHphoto link.

Though i know that the SD products provide excellent headphone amps.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]