FORUMS: list search recent posts

Home-church sermon recording setup

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bradley
Home-church sermon recording setup
on Oct 13, 2015 at 10:35:26 pm

I'm looking to record my sermons and was hoping for advice.

This situation is a little unique in that our church is a home-church and so the environment is not very well setup for recording (at least I assume it's not).

I'll lay out as many facts as seems helpful:

1. I don't need the audio to be incredible but I'd like to do a good of job as I can. I am willing to spend some money (say in the $300 range for now).
2. I'm sitting at the head of a kitchen table. The table-top is wood with large granite tiles.
3. There is a 3 pane glass window directly behind me in a shape like this: \___/
4. The people listening are sitting around the table between 4 and 10 feet away from me
5. I project slightly louder than I need to for the room, I would put the speaking as louder than conversational but quieter than most public speaking.
6. I often look down to pray and sigh through my nose. This can blow directly on the lav mic if I'm using one (I have some pretty good ideas how to stop from reading online)
7. I'm not willing to wear a mic on my face because of the intimate setting.

Currently I'm using one of two setups.
1. Sony PX720 digital recorder set on the table near me (on a leather pad so that the table noise doesn't affect it so much)
2. Sony PX720 digital recorder in my pocket with a ECM-CS10 lav mic.

I haven't thought either setup is great, but neither has been terrible either.

I've considered the following general setups:
1. Lav mic
2. Mic suspended above me
3. Build a small table-top podium and put mic in/on it. Perhaps some foam around the mic and a shock mount. I don't know what type of mic should be used for this type of setup.
4. A mic placed on the table in front of me by itself.

I'm considering buying a Zoom H4N and using that with a lav mic (the ECM-CS10 for now and upgrading later) and perhaps adding in a shotgun mic to place on a tall bookshelf which is about 5 feet from my head.

Sound sample without lav
Sound sample with lav

I use Audacity for post processing. This mainly consists of noise-removal, equalization, compression, and a hard-limiter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Home-church sermon recording setup
on Oct 14, 2015 at 12:50:23 am

Hi Mike and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

You've obviously been thinking about this and have provided us with a good idea of your setup,

The problem is that you are trying to serve two masters; recording and live performance.

My suggestion would be to cast off your concern about loss of intimacy and go with a Countryman E6. It's a very low profile piece. The E2 has a shorter boom and is less obvious.

So, I don't fill your price and configuration goals, but there you have it.

You can try one of many standard end address lavs and experiment with where on the chest you might mount it so it doesn't blow out when you bow your head. The thing to remember is to aim the mic down your chest, not up, so it will be very difficult to pop.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Mike Bradley
on Oct 15, 2015 at 10:39:37 pm

Thanks so much Ty.

Yes, I suppose I am trying to serve two masters, and since I'm devoted to the one, I sadly must despise the other :)

I watched your video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUSXP-a3hA). That was very helpful to see why a shotgun mic is not what I want. I am surrounded by 6 very hard surfaces and wont be able to get the mic close enough. It was also very useful to hear the quality difference between the lav and the E6.

I think I have the information I need. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 16, 2015 at 12:32:46 am

Mike,

Six hard surfaces! Oww!

Um, OK, so the best compromise I can come up with is a directional PZM. sitting on a book (or something else that has a relatively large flat surface on the table.

Not ideal, but workable if the lav is a problem due to the head bowing. If you bow your head while wearing tha lav, typically, you'll be right into it.

With the PZM directly in front of you, you won't have that problem.

Of course finding a better place than a room with six hard surfaces will improve your audio as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]