FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone stand thread: 5/8 vs 15mm

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Taylor
Microphone stand thread: 5/8 vs 15mm
on Oct 12, 2015 at 6:47:14 pm

I always thought the convention for a microphone stand thread was 5/8 - 27 (extra fine thread; the standard industrial sizes being 5/8 - 11 for coarse thread and 5/8 - 18 for fine thread).

However, I recently came across a type of microphone stand that uses a 15mm thread (and when I say I came across it, I mean I bought it and discovered the thread was not a match).

Is 15mm a newer standard, or is it only used in other parts of the world? If there are two coexisting standards now (5/8-27 and 15mm), are there any adaptors to convert from one to the other?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Microphone stand thread: 5/8 vs 15mm
on Oct 12, 2015 at 8:25:36 pm

Hello Andrew,

If the below works with what you're talking about, you do see the 15mm in Europe.

Many mics sold today come with one of these already in the 5/8" mic mount.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/256966-Manfrotto-MIBA?utm_source=googleps&u...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 12, 2015 at 10:06:54 pm

I believe Mr. Taylor and Mr. Ford are talking about different things. 15mm is quite a bit larger than the 3/8 adapter cited.

I have seen cheap mic booms (from Guitar Center) that appeared to have some sort of "adapter" on the end which at first inspection appear to be 5/8-27 to 5/8-27. But on closer inspection, the threading on the pipe (and the female threads on the "adapter" might be that odd-ball 15mm that Mr. Taylor is asking about. Perhaps it is cheaper to thread the pipes to 15mm and use an adapter to 5/8-27 than to use a proper 5/8-27 die. (or perhaps the pipe is 15mm vs 5/8 inch?)

Return to posts index

Andrew Taylor
on Oct 14, 2015 at 4:04:24 pm

Thank you for the link, but I think Richard is right. The 15mm mentioned in the adapter description refers to how long the adapter is, not the thread (which is 5/8-27 to 3/8-16).

I thought of retapping the female 15mm thread at the base the of microphone clip, since all the male counterparts (microphone stand, boom pole, etc.) are the standard 5/8-27 already.

But the microphone clip came with its own set of adapters: one for a regular hot shoe, one for a mini hot shoe, one for a gorilla pod-type set of legs. So if I retap the female end of the microphone clip, I cannot use any of the accessories that came with it.

I was hoping someone would manufacture a 5/8-27 to 15mm converter that I could use.

Alternatively, I could get this thread saver (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076269-REG/latch_lake_thsvr_5_8_thread_saver.html) and retap the male end of it to 15mm. But by the time I purchase the thread saver, plus a die, plus a die wrench, I'm better off buying a different microphone clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]