FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G3 vs Audio Technica 1801 Dual Wireless System

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken S.
Sennheiser G3 vs Audio Technica 1801 Dual Wireless System
on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:48:08 am

Wanted to get some feedback from audio pros before making a purchase, what do you recommend for a two mic lav setup, two sennheiser g3 units or the audio technica 1801 dual system? Thanks

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Sennheiser G3 vs Audio Technica 1801 Dual Wireless System
on Sep 29, 2015 at 1:29:36 pm

[Ken S.] "what do you recommend for a two mic lav setup, two sennheiser g3 units or the audio technica 1801 dual system?"

The only 1801 I can find in the AT lineup is the ATW-T1801 which is just a bodypack transmitter.

Doesn't matter though, my advice would be the same. That is, the Sennheisers. Probably a lot more money, but the G3s have proven themselves over the last few years and have become the defacto entry level lavalier standard. The darlings of the indy video crowd because it's the cheapest solution they have found to get the range and reliability they need.

That said, the AT System 10 (which I think you were trying to reference, but maybe not) is new and has some interesting properties. Heck, our own Ty Ford has tested it and reviewed it favorably. But it hasn't stood the test of time yet.

When I see the AT system 10 gear being used by indy filmakers on a more or less regular basis, I'll consider slotting that just under the G3s on my recommended list. But that hasn't happened yet in my experience.

Return to posts index

Ken S.
on Sep 29, 2015 at 4:04:03 pm

Thanks Bruce, I did have a typo for the AT model, it's actually the 1821, link below

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460224-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1821D_A...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:30:16 pm

Hello Ken and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I have tested both and both seem to work well. The 1800 receiver is larger and heavier than the G3. Some of the weight is due to the extra weight is due to the extra mixing/routing features of the 1800.

I have a friend who has an 1800 and uses it professionally. It works very well for him. I know more people who have the G2 and G3.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ken S.
on Sep 29, 2015 at 4:00:35 pm

Thanks Ty for the feedback. I was having a hard time finding reviews on the audio technica on youtube and forums but plenty on the g3's. If cost was exactly the same (2x units sennheiser vs AT) which would you go for? Addressing sound quality, durability and reliability which has the advantage? Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:25:08 pm

That's a no brainier...... Sennheiser.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:36:01 pm

Brian,

Have you any experience with the AT 1800 series?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:55:04 pm

Not with the 1800 system but have and still do use a lot of Sennheiser and AT products.
The reliability of the AT products is less than sennheiser overall, and where I am the backup service of AT products is minimal.
You can have the best system in the world but if it's not backed up with technical and repair support it's not worth a cracker.

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Oct 2, 2015 at 2:19:23 am

I've never used the AT but I am not a fan of the Sennheiser G3s. At all. We bought three sets (frequencies) and they all suffered from constant hits, fizzles, sputters and interference. Did some research and, apparently, it's a common problem with these. We bought the entry level Lectrosonics system. A bit more money but they're plug and play. They just... work. They save us a ton of time (and embarrassment) on set not having to stop the interview, rescan for frequencies and ask everyone to bury their metal items in a lead trench a mile away from set.

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:06:06 am

I've been using the AT 1800 series equipment for several years and my experience with them has been that they are rugged, stable, quiet and have performed flawlessly under a variety of indoor and outdoor conditions. They are a bit larger and heavier, and my only real criticism is that the display could be bigger and clearer, but that's a convenience issue, not a performance issue.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Stan Thomas
on Dec 23, 2015 at 1:28:36 am

I'm also considering the same between the sennheiser and AT. I have heard that the AT has a higher noise floor compared to a lectrosonic or Zaxcom. Obviously I'd prefer the lectrosonics or Zaxcom but due to budget I have to go with the AT or sennheiser. But how much in comparison to the sennheiser. The feature I like about the AT is the dual channel and the removable antenna. With that I can use an external antenna to improve performance which you can't with the Sennheiser. But am I getting a much better system with the Sennheiser?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]