Audio Interface recommendations

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Bauwens
Audio Interface recommendations
on Sep 7, 2015 at 5:13:15 pm
Last Edited By John Bauwens on Sep 7, 2015 at 6:26:24 pm

Hey all,

So I primarily do video and FX, but we often end up recording voiceovers or small music sets. I have been using an old MBox 2, but it's limited and I am looking to upgrade to a newer board and was hoping for some ideas about how other people record in to a computer. I tried researching this but a lot of stuff was from 2010 or earlier and seemed a bit dated. I record primarily into Audition now on a PC. I will still use the Mbox from time to time as a mobile setup, so the new one doesn't really need to go anywhere. The majority of what we record is XLR, so the 1/8 inputs aren't too important. Under $600 dollars would be great, as I also have a house to pay for.

I was looking at this Akai Professional EIE and some of these Behringer Xair pieces. But really I just want to figure out an idea of how other people do this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

- John

Return to posts index

Ryan Frias
Re: Audio Interface recommendations
on Sep 7, 2015 at 9:12:17 pm

Hi John,

I've always been a fan of MOTU's audio interfaces and I'm hoping to pick up one of their new AVB audio interfaces in the near future. They are workhorses, highly flexible, durable, and will last quite a while. I usually use Pro Tools to record VO. Avid just recently released a free version of Pro Tools (called Pro Tools First) that you can try out. I think you can record a few tracks of audio in the free version.

http://apps.avid.com/ProToolsFirst/

Best,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 8, 2015 at 12:04:56 pm

Apparently, Pro Tools First stores sessions on a cloud, not on your computer.

If you don't mind that model, that's OK.

I prefer to won the software and have it installed on my computer along with all of my audio and sessions.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:03:34 pm

Why not a microphone like the Apogee MiC that can connect to an iphone or ipad and record anywhere?
I use an apogee one (which has a built in mic) and can directly record through FCPX or Digital Performer. I don't like Pro Tools upgrade pricing. MOTU sound cards come with the free Audiodesk, which is a full featured audio editor.

------------------------
David Chai - Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com

Return to posts index

David Yarnell
on Oct 16, 2015 at 6:34:43 pm

The Apogee MiC is a fantastic for recording on iPhones and iPads but I think it's Mac only. It does sound great though, I have one. Apogee and Sennheiser have digital lavs also, check out- Clipmic and MKE2.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/company/sennheiser

Return to posts index

John Bauwens
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:14:25 pm

Thanks for the input!

While I am a fan of Pro Tools and learned originally on that, honestly I like Premier and After Effects a lot more than Avid, and since I am doing mostly basic recording and I get Audition with Adobe Cloud then I am just going to keep with that. Plus Audition interfaces with the video applications really, really well. I am a fan of the MOTU hardware, but they seem to be lacking in XLR inputs. I already have a AKG C 214 and a Sennheiser mkh416 to record with, and I would prefer to keep using those over a new mic.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:17:57 pm

Mke sure any new I/O has the powering you need for your mics. The mbox may have been doing more that you think.
My personal philosophy would be to keep audio recording and editing in an AUDIO appication and video in a video NLE. The 2 disciplines have different strengths and weaknesses.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Simon Wegman
on Sep 30, 2015 at 3:05:10 am

For $600 I'd recommend the Audient iD22. It contains 2 high quality mic pres, and the AD/DA conversion is very good. It's laid out as a great desktop monitor controller as well. It's quite mobile, and the quality will absolutely smoke an Mbox. I personally have an SPL Crimson, which is a similar unit with a bit more functionality in the monitor controller department, but it's an extra $100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]