FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording a man on stage

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Pritchard
recording a man on stage
on Aug 27, 2015 at 7:57:28 am

Hi

I'm filming a fashion show and there is a presenter on stage describing the outfits as they do the runway.

The venue is quite medival and has no sound board. The presenter will be using a hand mic going straight into a speaker.

I'd love some advice on how to get good quality audio recorded. What gear i would need etc?

Many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: recording a man on stage
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:18:00 pm

What "hand mic"? What "speaker"?
Does the speaker have an audio output connector? You could tap into the announce audio there.
Is it a conventional microphone with an XLR cable? You could use a "mic splitter" to split the mic audio. So that it goes to both the speaker and to your recorder/camera.

There are many possible solutions, but they depend on the exact description of the announcer's microphone and speaker.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 27, 2015 at 8:26:52 pm

You can send either of the outputs Richard describes wirelessly. That'd free you from cables if you need freedom to move.

Return to posts index

Gary Pritchard
on Aug 28, 2015 at 11:21:11 am

Hi

Thanks for your responses

Here is the list of gear the venue have provided. Any further help on how to record?

How many loudspeakers / manufacturer? There are 2 speakers. There are also 2 wireless microphones.

Mixer / manufacturer? The mixer is a Yamaha (MG155cx-us13).

Best

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:45:03 pm

Sorry, the only things I found with numbers like that are keyboards and parts for motorcycles. The details you need are what kinds of inputs and outputs the gear has so that you know what your options are for connecting to it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2015 at 6:05:04 pm

Old trick when I did a lot of videotaping of professional speakers is to simply use my wireless lav system and gaffer tape the transmitter to the speaker cabinet and hang the mic element so it dangles near the high frequency driver. Not good for music since it will probably overdrive at rock concert levels unless you have a high SPL lav or pad it a bunch - but for spoken word, it usually worked fine.

Eliminates having to talk to house sound or patch into anything.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]