FORUMS: list search recent posts

tascam dr-70d Write Timeout problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Wolfram
tascam dr-70d Write Timeout problem
on Jul 20, 2015 at 7:24:34 pm

Experiencing a new question (problem) with the tascam dr-70d (firmware 1.11) Where after a few minutes of recording 24bit 96k usually in dual channel (safe track) unto a brand new San Disk Ultra 32GB micro SDHC1 I will get a “Write Timeout” message shutting down the recording.

I’ve searched through the internet and have found some mention of this problem many months ago however I can’t find any mention wether this is strictly a card problem or if the recorder it self needs attention. While I could easily put a different card in the recorder I want to make sure I’ve addressed the proper problem.

I've not experienced this before including using this recorder a week ago for a marathon shoot(twelve plus hours) not a single glitch. (And I'm sure it was the same card) Then yesterday’s recording it was a constant problem. Testing today with a different card and I haven’t been able to recreate the error message.

Has anyone dealt with this “Write Timeout” message or know about it? And if so what is the final word is this a card issue or a recorder issue.

thanks, jeff

-------
Architectural & Interior Photographer

Return to posts index

Jeff Wolfram
Re: tascam dr-70d Write Timeout problem
on Jul 20, 2015 at 7:31:15 pm

"...or if the recorder it self needs attention."

by that I mean if I had something set wrong that could put a time limit on the recording. However the message never seemed to come up at a consistent time duration. And I've gone forward and back through the menus looking

-------

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 21, 2015 at 3:00:34 am

Hello Jeff and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Did you wipe the card clean using the TASCAM DR-70D before your new problem, or maybe in your computer?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jeff Wolfram
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:03:24 pm

Hi Ty, thank you for your response. I had used the card and recorder the day before and because the card is 32GB I did not reformat erasing any of the previous files. I only ever reformat cards in the devise never from the computer. Do you think the problem is the difference between exFAT verses FAT-32?

It does seem like a card issue because I can recreate the problem with that specific card where I can't recreate the message(yet) with another card (smaller in size) I have been a bit hesitant to reformat the card for the moment because I had important files on it (yes they have been backed up - just paranoia on my part)

thanks again for any insights.

jeff

-------

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:17:37 pm

Hello Jeff,

Some of what you're asking is above my pay grade. I'd ask TASCAM about the ex-FAT and FAT 32.

I'm guessing you already checked and yours was on that list, but If your cards are not on the officially sanctioned TASCAM list, then they MAY work or they MAY SOMETIMES WORK, or they MAY NOT WORK. :)

There have also been problems with counterfeit cards. If you got a really great price on yours……that's a sign they may be counterfeit.

That you can reproduce the problem is good actually. I hear you about the paranoia. Get those files somewhere else below your paranoia threshold and reformat the card each way to see if you can reproduce the problem. And, if you don't mind, let us all know what you find.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow AUdio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]