FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recovering audio from video files 5D Mark II/Rode Videomic Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Bob
Recovering audio from video files 5D Mark II/Rode Videomic Pro
on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:09:38 pm

Hi I was shooting a wedding with my Canon 5D Mark II and Rode Videomic Pro. After, when I was going through my video there wasn't any audio playback. After checking my camera the audio somehow was disabled. Is there any way to recover the audio? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Prigge
Re: Recovering audio from video files 5D Mark II/Rode Videomic Pro
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:10:48 pm
Last Edited By Tom Prigge on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:12:06 pm

One way to look at this is that you have recorded audio--it is just that the audio you recorded is silence. This reminds me of when I took a phone call at the production house I was working at in 1988. Someone had set up their VHS camcorder on a tripod to record their child's birthday party. They told me they had audio and could hear everything, but they had left the lens cap on and the screen was black. They wanted to know if we could electronically remove the lens cap to reveal the picture of the party because there was no picture on the screen. I told them they had a picture on their screen. It was a picture of the inside of the lens cap. I'm afraid you have the same problem--you have a recording of silence.

Return to posts index

Billy Bob
on Jul 19, 2015 at 9:32:18 pm

Ok thanks I didn't think there was much hope of recovering it. This will never happen again, believe me. Here's a pretty neat article on how some guys were able to extract sound from silent video http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/VisualMic/

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 20, 2015 at 8:37:12 am

Were you not wearing headphones ?-
Had you been listening to the camera audio you would have known within the 1st half second that you had a MAJOR problem and you would have fixed it long before anything happened of any importance.
Or did you "presume" that the audio would be OK? BOG MISTAKE. Audio needs far MORE attention than pictures do.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Billy Bob
on Jul 20, 2015 at 8:14:43 pm

No I was not wearing headphones. I have a Rode Videomic Pro and after manually setting the mic to the correct volume I thought it was working. On a Canon 5D Mark II there is not a plug for headphones.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:08:41 am

Well in that case, without the external box that everyone seems to use when they use these "stills cameras with a video afterthought" then it would seem that
1) You were using a totally unsuitable camera
2) You were taking a massive risk and have come un stuck

NB (and i have shot many weddings) the levels in a wedding change massively. The recording setup you need to capure the vows is soo much quieter than that of 2oo people singing. By setting, leaving (and hoping) you are expecting waaaaay too much from the audio capabilities of a camera whose actual audio capabilities are woeful even when attended.

Sorry but its a mistake youll make just the once (hopefully)
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Billy Bob
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:16:34 pm

Yes this will never happen again. Thank you for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 27, 2015 at 6:50:49 pm

Was anyone else recording audio? Sometimes a church will record the audio of the service. If so, you might be able to add that to your video. t'd probably be a painful edit, but you might recover some of the material.

Return to posts index

Adam Sanborne
on Jul 22, 2015 at 5:44:24 am

Well, this sucks man... I really like the link you sent about the silent movies and I'm familiar with that sort of cleanup work. I'm curious if you can send me a clip of video where someone is talking and, if I'm able to convert it to audio (some help there might be in order), I can see if there's anything to recover. "Unveil" is an amazing clean-up tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]