FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing 'tinny' sound after using noise reduction in Audition CS 6

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael West
Removing 'tinny' sound after using noise reduction in Audition CS 6
on Jul 14, 2015 at 4:43:46 pm

Good morning:
I followed a tutorial about using the Noise Reduction filter in Audition CS 6 to remove background noise from an interview.
It worked wonderfully, except, even after playing with the settings, I get a slight 'tinny/echo-y' sound from the vocal.
The clients are happy with the result, but I'm wondering if there is a way to make the sound less 'tinny/echo-y', maybe by running it through another filter to make it more 'bass-y".
Any help provided is greatly appreciated.
Michael

Return to posts index

Ryan Frias
Re: Removing 'tinny' sound after using noise reduction in Audition CS 6
on Jul 14, 2015 at 5:29:44 pm

Did the recording have more base before you started the noise reduction process? If so, you might've went to far with the processing.

You can try to throw some EQ on the low end to get what you're after.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:00:39 pm

Ryan: thanks for getting back so quickly.

I have taken your advice and googled EQ to learn how to use it to "bass' up the voice.
Right now, I am leaning towards the page from Larry Jordan, which seems to be what I need (https://larryjordan.com/articles/eq-warm-a-voice-and-improve-diction/)
I just have to wait to get home tonight to try it.

If you have any suggestions, or recommendations for other websites, regarding using EQ in Audition, feel free to pass it along, as well.

Thanks again to you, and all the Cow people who provide so much good advice for fledglings.
Michael

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:43:37 pm

Alas, that is the major side-effect of that kind of filtering.
One suggestion frequently heard is to apply the noise-reduction process in a series of less intense settings rather than all in a single pass.

Of course, reducing or eliminating noise during recording is always better than any kind of post-production processing. And you have demonstrated exactly why that is the case.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Jul 16, 2015 at 9:44:34 pm

What Mr. Crowley said.

My own experience with Audition CS6 is that if you try to completely eliminate the noise you'll end up with artifacts you don't want in the sound that's left. Even if you do multiple light passes, which seems to in fact be a better technique, you still end up with some artifacting.

What I found worked best for interviews was to apply multiple light passes until I started to hear some artifacting. Then I backed up a pass. This left some level of noise (but quite reduced) without the artifacts effecting the interview dialog. This I found much more desirable that the complete eradication of the noise.

Takes some patience, some experimentation, but it's usually doable.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Jul 24, 2015 at 8:01:09 pm

Thanks to you all for your advice.
I am looking forward to trying everything.....especially that thing about getting good sound up front. 8^]
Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:56:44 pm

try effect-studio reverb with low settings and set the filter to 150hz. that should add studio reverb to just the bass.

Return to posts index

Joshua Mallett
on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:38:19 pm

iZotope RX4 is the best Noise Reduction out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]