FORUMS: list search recent posts

firewire connection is realy dangerous?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renato Zanardo
firewire connection is realy dangerous?
on Jul 9, 2015 at 5:39:52 pm

I have used over time, connecting them with the firewire, some preamp device, such as: Presonus, Focusrite, M-Audio. After a few months of use, it are burned. The last literally exploded it in my hand, caught fire. I hope that the Motu V4HD does not have the same fate. Does anyone have an explanation?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: firewire connection is realy dangerous?
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:20:37 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:22:20 pm

Sorry, not clear exactly WHAT it was that burned or caught fire in your hand? The cable? The connector? The computer? The Firewire gadget (which one?)

Of course since Firewire is essentially dead, perhaps it is a moot point.

Firewire has long had a reputation for being rather sensitive to hot-plugging and ESD, so perhaps it is good riddance.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:13:13 pm

Ciao Renato,

I had a CD duplicator with FW interface that burned out teh FW ports on my Mac and itself. It was a poor design.

I have other FW devices that have been great, no problems.

Some apparently do not like to be hot swapped.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Renato Zanardo
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:56:40 pm

my English is sometimes not very understandable I apologize. The computer still works, but the presonus device exploded like a firecracker. something inside exploded and caught fire. Phereaphs a condenser.
Unfurtunately I haven't other way to connect a Videocamera to an I Mac, I'm forced to use the firewire connection.,but for many years I have never had problems with cameras and Har disk. Only with audio devices.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 9, 2015 at 9:14:21 pm

Hey Renato,

I'm sure your English is better than my Italian. :) (Sorry, I presume you are Italian.)

So you have tried multiple different I/O boxes and they have all eventually burned out?

Which Mac do you have? I wonder if there's something wrong with its FW port.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Renato Zanardo
on Jul 9, 2015 at 10:02:11 pm

hi
I recently purchased a Motu V4HD. It was a good opportunity. But I realized that the Motu V4HD does not support fantom power. So I returned to the store, and I brought my old presonus box damaged, for repair. The seller has tried to connect to the PC to see if it worked, and it exploded like a firecracker after 10 seconds.

Return to posts index

Renato Zanardo
on Jul 9, 2015 at 10:06:24 pm

I have an I Mac 10.6.8. Is old but nothing wrong. In the store we connected the Presonus box to a Window PC. Firewire window I think it's worse than the Mac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]