FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am I right in my thinking here: use the Rode NTG-3 outside and the Audio Technica 4053B inside?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Am I right in my thinking here: use the Rode NTG-3 outside and the Audio Technica 4053B inside?
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:55:05 pm

I have two mics: a Rode NTG-3 and a AT 4053B.

Just curious to hear some expert opinions....given their pickup patterns, I typically use the Rode outside and the AT indoors (if I'm trying to catch dialogue.)

Is that thinking correct/sensical?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Am I right in my thinking here: use the Rode NTG-3 outside and the Audio Technica 4053B inside?
on Jun 24, 2015 at 2:16:43 pm

Yes. The indoor/outdoor distinction is the popular meme, but if you know the real reasoning, you can adapt to a wider variety of situations.

"Shotgun" microphones use the ANGLE of incidence to cancel off-axis sounds (that is what makes it a "shotgun")
When you are indoors, you are almost guaranteed to have nearby reflective surfaces that will "confuse" a shotgun mic.
That is why we traditionally use hyper-cardioid microphones INDOORS because hypers are much less susceptible to reflections by virtue of their operating principles.

So the REAL distinction is nearby reflective surfaces (or not).
If you were shooting in a gigantic indoor space with no reflective surfaces 50 feet in any direction, then a shotgun may be the ideal choice.
OTOH, if you were out in the middle of a desert and had lots of hard-surface reflectors or light-blocking shades, etc. then a hyper may perform better.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Am I right in my thinking here: use the Rode NTG-3 outside and the Audio Technica 4053B inside?
on Jun 24, 2015 at 3:21:43 pm

Hello Noam and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Richard is spot on.

BTW, there's nothing to stop you for using the AT4053b in the wide open spaces.

I regularly use my Schoeps CMC641 outside. No problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]