FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Camera Recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jami Francescon
Need Camera Recommendation
on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:46:45 pm

Just shooting long interviews that will end up on dvd.
We have Zoom Audio H6 acting as the mixer with lavs going in.
We have been using a Sony HDMI consumer camera, and inputing and plugging in audio to camera.
We want the camera to record external mic, and not have to sync later.
The camera is good enough quality, but it compresses the audio, and does an automatic gain control, that creates static during lulls. These are interviews that won't be edited. ( we want to keep the lulls).
So looking for a decent HD camera, card based, that as an input for external mic, that won't compress audio. Hoping b/w $1500 - 3,000.
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Need Camera Recommendation
on Jun 15, 2015 at 1:29:54 am
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Jun 15, 2015 at 1:52:32 am

Many manufactures have cameras that would suit your needs Cannon, Sony, Panasonic, JVC etc. As a format suggestion AVCHD would be the way to go, it records to a SD card that is easily handled by edit programs in most PC's or laptops, even the most basic edit programs that come with Windows or Mac will do a very good job on basic productions.

As a piece of advice make sure that the camera has XLR audio inputs and can run 'phantom power' for powering microphones........
A basic video camera with some very simple lighting and a couple of cable lapel microphones (no need for radio microphones in what you are wanting to do) will deliver amazing results within your price range.

This might be a starting point for you...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Pro-Camcorders-Cameras/ci/16763/N/4256818...

NO need for the Zoom H6 in what you are wanting to do.
Do NOT go the DSLR camera path, it creates SO much more work for you.....

Return to posts index

Jami Francescon
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:36:27 am

Thanks so much for the info!
We have the zoom H6 acting as a mixer. Sometimes we have up to 5 lavs. The zoom also records a back up audio file. Good advice on making sure the camera has an XLR input.
Also, I absolutely agree on the DSLR point. Way too much work. Not good for 2 hours shoots.
The editors are using a wide range of platforms, some professional and some consumer.
We want to avoid having to do any conversions before working. It seems like Final Cut X, does the conversation in the background, Final Cut 7 would have to use log and transfer.
The Cannon XA10 seems like a good one.

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:14:00 pm

The Canon xa10 is ok, but there have been problems with that camera's handle keeping contact all the time... for about $1600, I'd get the XA20 if it was the only camera I owned for what you want to do... you can get 6 hours in LPCM mode on that camera on a $30 64gig SD card....

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 16, 2015 at 5:37:48 pm

Hi Jami and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Here's a thought from the low dollar seats: A Zoom Q4 for $299.

It's a fixed focal length lens but has a two position "zoom." There is no variable zoom.

It's white balance is set to daylight, so shooting in incandescent or fluorescent will look red or green.

Here's my review of it with video clips. The one with Don playing the flute in my "green room" is lit by daylight coming through some nice accordion blinds.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com/2014/11/zoom-q4-1080p-with-lcd-viewer-...

The audio for that clip was: mic and direct guitar to a Fishman SoloAmp. I added a bit of reverb and took the output of the amp to a small mixer. I fed the camera from the mixer.

How's that work for you?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

PS: you might also want to check with one of the camera forums here on the Cow.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]