FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lavalier mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gennady Gaidukevich
Lavalier mic
on Jun 11, 2015 at 2:38:50 pm

Sorry if this is wrong section, didn`t knew where to post my issue. Today I got my lavalier mic but problem is... I dunno where to plug it. You see my camera doesn`t have mic jack. Using PC also isn`t option because I want to film anywhere in my flat and don`t want to be tied only to one room. What to do? Where can I connect lavalier mic if I cant use PC and camera (camera doesnt supports any external mics)? Also please note that I need some cheap solution and I dont want to spend two- or three digit amounts of money while my mic cost me 4 euros :D

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Lavalier mic
on Jun 11, 2015 at 9:50:36 pm

Hello Grennady and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You have a camera that you can't plug a mic into?

Why can't you use the camera mic in a very quiet space?

If there's no way to make that work. Sell the camera and get one that has a port on it.

If you have an iPhone or similar device, there are lavs that can plug into them and you may be able to solve your problem that way.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 12, 2015 at 2:50:55 am

Hi Gennady,
It would be very much easier to try to help you if you could reveal some details.
What microphone? What connector? What camera?
What computer? What operating system? What editing software?
Do you have a "webcam"?

It would also be helpful to know what you are trying to produce. And what your expectation is for quality level?

Return to posts index

Gennady Gaidukevich
on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:58:11 am
Last Edited By Gennady Gaidukevich on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:58:25 am

My camera is Sony CX190E. My mic is Dagee DG-001.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Levin
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:30:19 am

My first question would be why would you get any kind of mic that you knew you couldn't connect to a camera?

Given that, you will need to use some sort of external recorder, and you will have to slate at each start-stop.
A new camera would be in your best interest, and learn EVERYTHING you can about producing good audio.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Gennady Gaidukevich
on Jun 14, 2015 at 2:38:13 pm

OK,so what do I need to buy? Please, give me model name. Budget: 10-15 euros

Return to posts index

Jonathan Levin
on Jun 14, 2015 at 3:15:45 pm

Gennady.

Some background from you would be helpful for sure in order to help:

1) Is video your profession or is this a project that involves no pay?

2) I looked up the Dagee DG-001 and it looks like that lav costs under 10.00US. I've found that with audio, you really do get what you pay for. A decent wired (not wireless) lav can start at ~250.00 and go up to many hundreds of dollars.

You will need something to record into if you are thinking of doing that, and in your case I definately would. A lot of people use Zoom products, but those will be more than your 11.00US budget. Start saving your money. Producing good audio does come with a price. Producing bad audio also comes with a price.

3) Unless your subject is VERY close o the mic that is built in to the camera, for the most part it is useless. The further back the subject, the more you have to boost the volume level which will for sure introduce more ambient sound, as well as mechanical sound.

4) If you are going to do sound for a bunch of things, I highly recommend buying and reading "Producing Great Sound for Film and Video" by Jay Rose.

5) Two people who's opinions I highly respect with all things audio and who I have asked endless basic questions from, Richard Crowley and Ty Ford are right here in this forum. And there are many others out there too. These gentleman have taught me a great deal. I'd also recommend Ty's pocket audio guide.

Lots of stuff to consider.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Gennady Gaidukevich
on Jun 14, 2015 at 9:40:04 pm

I want to make a book reviews. Nothing professional and no money earning is envolved. I need a recorder so I could connect lavalier mic there. Only I dont want much background noise so I dont need the cheapest one. But also I dont want it to be over 20 euros

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 15, 2015 at 12:23:40 am

Your budget of 20 Euro for a "quiet recorder" is completely unrealistic. Why can't you plug your mic into your computer and record to that?

Return to posts index

Gennady Gaidukevich
on Jun 15, 2015 at 8:44:50 am

I did. But it records too silents. Maybe because I have a built-in audiocard idk.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 15, 2015 at 2:47:28 pm

"it records too silents"

Nobody knows what that means???

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:47:42 pm

Richard,

I think English is not Gennady's first language. From his name I'd say he's probably somewhere in the former Soviet Union.

I take it that he means he's not getting enough level from that mic.

Gennady, put the camera on a tripod. If it has a zoom, zoom all the way out. then move the camera as close to you as you can. This will put the mic as close to you as possible.

Plan B: If your computer has a builtin camera and mic, use it instead.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:54:48 pm

If your recording level is too low, you may need to adjust the record level (and "boost" setting) on your computer. If you tell us what computer and operating system you are using we can tell you how to adjust this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]