FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H6 - what am I doing wrong with the mics?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jo Blake
Zoom H6 - what am I doing wrong with the mics?
on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:37:21 pm

Hi,

Great forum, first post, and hope someone will bear with me.

I have a pair of Soundman binaural in-ear mics that run through an adaptor (also supplied by Soundman) and I've used them with the Zoom H4n with good results. The Zoom broke, so I upgraded to the H6 and the adaptor also broke (it was the 3.5mm connection). I upgraded to the adaptor with two XLR connectors.

I cannot get sound to come out of both mics, only one. I've plugged them in with every combination possible (inputs 1-4). I've tried using phantom power on and off, which makes no difference - I still get sound through one of the mics but not the other. I thought it would be a case of plugging into the XLR slots and pressing on the associated track numbers to light up, and good to go. This has me scratching my head. I found the manual for the H6 online and read in it that in order to record in stereo (I'm not sure if this applies to what I'm doing?) I need to pair tracks 1 & 2, and tracks 3 & 4, by holding the pairs of buttons together. I tried this too, no joy.

I know that the mics are working fine, because I can plug them straight into the H6 without the adaptor. The problem is the massive background noise that's also present (the adaptor has lo-cut). I know it's not the adaptor, because it works ok with a Tascam recorder I have, but that's not portable and I need it to work with the Zoom. It's definitely the Zoom... or should I say, it's definitely ME not understanding some process here with the Zoom.

When I switch the XLR connectors over, the other mic works, and then not the other.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks so much for any help. At end of tether.

Jo

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Zoom H6 - what am I doing wrong with the mics?
on Jun 6, 2015 at 6:23:18 pm

Hello Jo and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

That's really good detective work on your part!

So you can pair the inputs, !1&2 or 3&4) but still only get one side?

If you swap mics on the adaptor, the audio still only comes in from the same side?

Perplexing. The US Zoom support page is at:

https://www.zoom-na.com/contact

And this:

ZOOM NORTH AMERICA
2120 Smithtown Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
T 631.542.5270
F 631.542.5271
E info@zoom-na.com

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader