FORUMS: list search recent posts

CANON XA10 AND RODE SVM MICRAPHONE... Sound blown out... need assistance please.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Parten
CANON XA10 AND RODE SVM MICRAPHONE... Sound blown out... need assistance please.
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:14:06 am

Please Help..... Im using a rode svm mic on my canon xa10 and recording loud live alternative music performances... seems i cant get it dialed in and all sound is blown out. i have tried lowering the volume really low and its still blown out a lot off bass at these shows and is blowing the sound out every time... any thoughts... or settings on the xa10 i can set it on to help clarify the audio.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: CANON XA10 AND RODE SVM MICROPHONE... Sound blown out... need assistance please.
on Jun 1, 2015 at 1:36:52 pm

Hello Josh and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Your SVM has a pad switch, right? Is it engaged?

Live music events are very taxing on any recording setup. Alternative rock groups are among the hardest to get clean. It's virtually impossible to get a good capture with any mic on the camera. Neither the camera or the mic are well suited for the job you would like them to do. A board feed is a much better way to go.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

PS: venting your frustration by changing text in the subject line to something that some may find offensive may cause you to be bumped. I don't have the authority to do that, but others may.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: CANON XA10 AND RODE SVM MICRAPHONE... Sound blown out... need assistance please.
on Jun 3, 2015 at 4:12:36 pm

a dynamic mic is designed for loud sounds. Good ones are expensive because they can handle loud db range(check the specs page on them, they'll say like up to 120db). All you have to do is either hook up an external dynamic mic to your camera or get a mixer guy to give you a perfect output(like Ty said). probably a xlr or 1/4 adaptor would be needed.

but it seems to me that any recording that is far away from the band, will have echo, room distortion, and reverb problems anyway. That's why they have recording studios.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]