FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio bleed issue after using Voice Leveler in Audition

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Holpfer
Audio bleed issue after using Voice Leveler in Audition
on May 29, 2015 at 9:06:04 pm

Hey all, I'm new to using Audition to edit my podcasts and ran into an issue with mic bleed after using the Voice Leveler.

The podcast has 4 people sitting around a 6' table, each with their own Heil PR 40 in a pretty dead room. I applied the leveler to each individual track and it sounded great but when I played it with all 4 tracks together, you can clearly hear the person who's speaking through the other tracks which is causing the speaker to sound tinny.

I used the soft preset for the leveler so I don't think that setting is too aggressive, but maybe it is considering there are 3 other tracks picking up the same thing.

Are there any tools to silence the audio on individual tracks when that person isn't speaking?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Ryan Frias
Re: Audio bleed issue after using Voice Leveler in Audition
on May 30, 2015 at 2:51:14 am
Last Edited By Ryan Frias on May 30, 2015 at 2:52:04 am

You can use an Expander, but it's cleaner to do basic dialogue editing and only keep one mic/track playing at once, which means you'll need to use roomtone to bridge between channels/tracks.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 30, 2015 at 2:52:11 pm

[Edward Holpfer] "Are there any tools to silence the audio on individual tracks when that person isn't speaking?"

There's you! Welcome to dialog editing. Turn down the mic feeds when they aren't being used. Turn them up when they are. Use room tone to bridge the gaps. Done well, it's seamless and "natural". Easier said than done though.

Return to posts index

Edward Holpfer
on Jun 1, 2015 at 9:22:57 pm

[Bruce Watson] "Turn down the mic feeds when they aren't being used."

I took this as "turn down the microphones that aren't being used during the recording." But based on the response I am now assuming you meant turning down the mics in Audition, NOT on the mixing board during the actual recording.

Sorry, all this stuff is new to me so I'm probably not explaining/understanding very well.

Either way, using a noise gate on the recording solved my problem. THANK YOU ALL!!

Fledgeling podcaster

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 31, 2015 at 5:03:33 pm

Hello Ed and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

As Ryan suggests, an expander. I'd try a gate first, because that's what I'm used to.

Set a gate on each track that only lets that person's voice get though when they're speaking.

Sometimes it works very well. Sometimes you get someone with a REALLY BIG VOICE that opens the gates on the other mics and you have to Do as Bruce Watson suggests and fix it in post.

You might get better results if you use headset mics because they are closer to the mouth of the person speaking, as such setting the gate to keep loudmouths out is easier. Not fool proof, but easier.

Some of the better Automixers by Shure and Audio Technica have direct outputs and the main output does the automixing per the above. You could record the iso tracks and the mixed track on different tracks and then go back and touch up where needed.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Edward Holpfer
on Jun 1, 2015 at 1:55:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The podcast is kind of an open format where anyone can chime in at any time. Often there are people talking over each other so turning down or off channels during the recording won't be an effective solution but I will try the noise gate and expander.

Fledgeling podcaster

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:28:06 pm

[Edward Holpfer] "during the recording"

Your original post was about editing in Audition after the fact. Now you are talking about mixing during the recording. Which is it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]