FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Wireless filmmaker kit questions audio levels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ray verhoef
Rode Wireless filmmaker kit questions audio levels
on May 17, 2015 at 11:00:58 am

Hi all,

Last time everybody was a great help figuring some things out. But I have some new issues.

I bought the rode wireless filmmaker kit and mounted it on my XA10, xlr connection. The question I have what is the right audio level? When I'm talking I let it peak around -10. My voice sounds clear, but there is a lot of white noise in the background. Should I adjust the dial to a lower peak level? because when I switch on the ATT the problem is gone. But I'm afraid the sound is too low. I listened to it with my headphones in FCP and it just sounds so low. There are also some db settings on the receiver and transmitter as well, I have mine set at 0db now. the other options are +10 and +20.

Ive been doing a lot of reading at what level to peak my audio for my shotgun and lav set, but getting some mixed answers. Hope to find some answers here. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Rode Wireless filmmaker kit questions audio levels
on May 17, 2015 at 2:28:55 pm

Hello Ray and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm going to guess that attenuating the audio is being done on the camera. Is that right?
If so you're turning down everything, including the hiss. Were you to gain that back up in FCP, the hiss would probably still be there.

With any wireless system, there are two parts, transmitter and receiver. You need to feed the transmitter properly by adjusting its sensitivity to match the mic and the loudness of the source of the audio so it does not overdrive the transmitter causing distortion. Too low is also bad and results in noise.

Does the Rode system have a level indicator for the transmitter? Get that right, then proceed.

The receiver may have an input level indicator. If that's too high, you need to reduce the sensitivity of the transmitter. The receiver also probably has an output control. That needs to be adjusted so as not to overdrive the camera input or be so low that it requires the camera input controls to be turned up so high that camera preamp noise (hiss) is audible.

Most receivers output mic level. If your camera inputs are set to line, you'll have to boost the level a lot at the camera and that will result in noise.

Hope this helps.

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

ray verhoef
on May 17, 2015 at 2:58:45 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the ATT is done on the xlr unit on the camera. The receiver or transmitter on this system doesn't have a lot of manual settings. Only you can change from 0db to 10 and 20db. The level indicator on the receiver is a very basic one (just three bars indicating volume)

I'm getting better audio quality when turning on the ATT actually.

Can you tell me what ideal peak levels should be? for my shotgun or the wireless system? When I look on to my my level meter on the cam whats the ideal range?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 19, 2015 at 9:21:43 pm

Any mic should be peaking about -10 to -12, as you had it.

Where is the input level control on the camera dialed up to?

If you're pushing the camera input so hard that you need to use the camera pad (ATT stands for attenuator), then take it off and reduce the input level control on the camera.

This whole thing is called "gain staging." When you understand the different stages where gain can be adjusted. A little here, a little there and you're done.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 27, 2015 at 6:36:38 pm

Here's a link to a video explaining what Ty has been saying. While your wireless setup doesn't have all the controls mentioned in the video, it explains gain staging well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]