FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very Strange Issue with Recovered Tascam Wav

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Dreyer
Very Strange Issue with Recovered Tascam Wav
on Apr 26, 2015 at 10:24:27 am

Hi everyone, we recorded a session using a Tascam DR 60DmkII and the PA tried to free up space on the card by deleting the 3-4 tracks (unused) but keeping 1-2 tracks. Well, they were linked somehow and deleting one set deleted both. We isolated the SD Card and put it away for safety until we could get to a workstation. Nothing was written to the disk following the deletions. It was caught during the deletion process, so no data was overwritten. All of the files were able to be recovered, but this is where it gets VERY strange. The wav files play, all of the audio is there, but it looks sounds like two tracks have been jumbled together in an alternating fashion. It seems like it plays track 1 for a second, then the same sample from track 2, then back to 1, etc.

I've recovered the data using multiple methods and it always comes out the same. We can fix it manually by cutting up the track, but I'm looking for a method to do this automatically or to restore the proper organization to the wav file. I'm guessing there was some sort of meta data that the Tascam had at the head which became stripped when the delete happened. I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything like this.

Any thoughts on how to repair?

Here's an example file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hh1li23ufha0j0v/f10743104.wav?dl=0

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Very Strange Issue with Recovered Tascam Wav
on Apr 28, 2015 at 8:32:01 pm

I can guess how it might have happened. Lots of recorders record 4 tracks at a time, and have set that a mixdown records onto tracks 3&4. This file sounds like what you have recovered is all four tracks, but 3&4 got interleaved into the 1&2 track. That might be how Tascam records multichannel audio. I wonder if you reloaded this file into the recorder if it would play four tracks as normal? These are all guesses but I think they're as good as any.

Return to posts index

Glenn Lock
on Jun 20, 2015 at 1:50:05 pm

I Have the same issue, did you ever resolve this, and if so could you share how?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jun 20, 2015 at 10:46:17 pm

Rule 1. of recording......NEVER, NEVER delete ANYTHING without first creating a backup copy.
Rule 2. Do a backup recording on a different machine.....with a DIFFERENT powering source.
Rule 3. Do not store the 2 data storage mediums / Discs in the same location.

This is BASIC computer data stuff... Audio data is NO different.

Return to posts index

Ryan Dreyer
on Jun 20, 2015 at 10:56:52 pm

Thanks Brian! Super helpful! Do you also suggest not driving on wet roads when someone asks for a mechanic? 9_9

Return to posts index

Henry Sime
on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:12:06 pm

Hi Ryan,
We were filming a shirt film yesterday and had this same problem. We were also using the same Tascam recording in dual mono. Our DIT transfered the audio clips, but somehiw they got deleted. Were were able to recover the files with an SD card recovery tool, butthey play the exact same way.

I know this post is two years old, but did you ever find a way to resolve this problem without cutting the track into tiny little pieces?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]