FORUMS: list search recent posts

Brainstorm: Why might a Samson LM10 microphone not work with a GTD audio body pack transmitter (comparable with G787L receiver unit)?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Erickson
Brainstorm: Why might a Samson LM10 microphone not work with a GTD audio body pack transmitter (comparable with G787L receiver unit)?
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:32:38 pm

Hey all,

I have an upcoming shoot this weekend (4/25-4/26 2015 for you future people) in which I was hoping to use some recently purchased Samson LM10 mics (TA3 connector) with my GTD G787L system, but the LM10 doesn't produce any signal when connected into the transmitter. I know it's probably not the mics themselves, as I tired out another one of the LM10s that I had just purchased with the same results. I know it's probably not the transmitter, since I plugged one of the lavs that came with the system into the unit that wouldn't give signal with the LM10 and got normal levels.

Impedance for the LM10 is listed as 2000 ohms, but the transmitters are listed as 1M ohms. Since I believe the rule is that you must go from low ohms on your mic to high ohms down the signal path, this seems to not be an issue (unless I've got the rule reversed). Finally, the GTD manual says that the connector on the transmitters is wired in the traditional 1 - ground, 2 - positive, 3 - negative arrangement, so, unless Samson has been playing around with their wiring for propriety's sake, this also wouldn't be a problem.

Any other ideas as to what the problem is, other than the grade of gear itself *?

*Note: I'm doing what I can here to preempt the snark about buying cheap gear. I've just haven't got the time or budget to run out and replace it all. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Brainstorm: Why might a Samson LM10 microphone not work with a GTD audio body pack transmitter (comparable with G787L receiver unit)?
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:19:34 pm

Hello Chris and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Sounds like you have an incompatible mic to transmitter problem.

Some mics a two wire mics. Some are three wire mics.

If you could suss out any discrepancies there, you might find an answer.

(You're right about the outer stuff you said.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Chris Erickson
Re: Brainstorm: Why might a Samson LM10 microphone not work with a GTD audio body pack transmitter (comparable with G787L receiver unit)?
on Apr 29, 2015 at 12:13:06 am

Hey Ty,

I looked at the reviews of the GTD G-787l and found this in one of the reviews:

"The lavalier and headset mics that are included with this set are wired to only two of the three XLR pins. One reviewer noted static during vocal transmission... I heard this, too, and solved the problem by wiring/soldering together two of the pins in the mic connector (not the bodypack)."

I take it that that means the mics are two wire and the transmitter pack would be as well, I assume.

Do you know if anybody makes 3 pin to 2 pin converters, or will I have to make them (this is assuming that conversion is technically possible and won't fry my mic or transmitter)?

Thanks for your help so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]