FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N bug? overlapping sound with sound from a previous file

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergiu Timar
Zoom H4N bug? overlapping sound with sound from a previous file
on Apr 4, 2015 at 7:09:03 pm

Hello

I have a Zoom H4n and I use it with my DSLR, Canon 550d since 3 years ago to do inteviews. I have the latest firmware version.

Today it happened something really strange, I've done 2 interviews, and the second one also has the sound from the first one. Basically I can hear both voices at the same time and the file is completely unusable.

I tried to sepparate the left and the right channel, to see if they are sepparated and use only one of the channels, but unfortunately the overlap is on both channels...

Is there a way of fixing this problem?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Zoom H4N bug? overlapping sound with sound from a previous file
on Apr 4, 2015 at 11:58:15 pm

Wow, that seems utterly impossible considering it is a digital device and opens a separate file each time it records. Can you reproduce the anomaly?

Return to posts index

Sergiu Timar
on Apr 5, 2015 at 12:10:35 am

I wasn't recording on the SD card from the device, I was recording on the SD card of the camera only.

After a bit of research online, I found out that someone had this problem too:

Hello Juan, Thanks for the sharing your details on how you set up your Zoom 4n. I tried your method and ran into a strange problem: When I came back and started inputing my 5D footage, one of the sound channels would sometimes have sound from a previous sound recording, instead of the actual sound. Really weird. Have you had anything like this happen? I’m trying to recreate it now.
I set it up pretty much like you had it. In my case:
I used both the Zooms XLRs (one with a mic and the other for wireless). I connected the Zooms sound to the 5d like you did with the line out from the zoom.
Also, how are you matching the sound levels of the zoom to the 5D? I did it manually, and have to turn the 5D sound level almost all the way down.

Juan Pons Says:
April 13th, 2010 at 8:52 am
Lucian,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. That is indeed a strange problem about the mixing of channels and previous recordings. I would suggest installing the latest firmware on the H4n which you can get from herehttp://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4n.php.
In regards to the sound levels. You may need to lower the sound to the lowest settings or even set the audio out to line level.

http://dpexperience.com/2010/03/18/recording-audio-with-your-video-dslr-par...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 5, 2015 at 1:25:16 am

If you were only recording on the camera, how can you possibly implicate the H4n? Your suspicions do not match your description of your setup. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what happened.

Return to posts index

Sergiu Timar
on Apr 5, 2015 at 1:32:35 am

You might have a fundamental misunderstanding of what happened and it may be due to the fact that you haven't read the first post. I had the Zoom H4n connected to my DSLR and I was recording, saving the data, only on the SD card from the camera.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 5, 2015 at 1:44:19 am
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Apr 5, 2015 at 1:46:08 am

Yes. Exactly. If ONLY the camera was recording, how can you possibly imply that ANYTHING AT ALL was wrong with the H4n? Please explain how the H4n could have POSSIBLY caused the symptom you are describing if the H4n was only passing audio THROUGH to the camera in real time? For anything to happen to the recording, it would have been the camera that did it. The H4n did not have any access to (or even knowledge of) any previous recordings. This just makes no sense at all.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 6, 2015 at 4:32:55 am

Sergiu,

It is this type of thing that causes people to argue that if you're shooting on a DSLR of any type, you should ALWAYS be running double system sound (audio recording to a separate device) and NEVER rely on the DSLR to record your final audio. DSLRs as a class are terrible at sound recording. If for no other reason then that few of them allow you to even do real-time monitoring of the audio AS RECORDED during a recording. So you can't even hear problems such as you're describing as they happen.

Your problem is that your workflow is broken. You have a perfectly capable audio device available, but you're choosing to bypass it in favor of a woeful audio device. (the camera)

I'd advise you to change this workflow at the earliest opportunity or you're liable to get the same terrible results again.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]