FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can the Tascam DR-60D record two mics in stereo?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Flowers
Can the Tascam DR-60D record two mics in stereo?
on Apr 3, 2015 at 8:58:37 pm
Last Edited By Ty Flowers on Apr 3, 2015 at 9:00:58 pm

This is kind of amazing to me, but I've owned this device for about two years, and every time I go out to shoot I try something different only to end up with the same result. It seems almost impossible to me, but is the DR-60D incapable of recording two microphones simultaneously in stereo mode? I've only been able to get it to record a single mono channel for each input. I noticed that the DR-70D has a mode called "2mix" which sounds like what I'm looking for. I updated firmware and everything, but I still can't believe the recorder lacks this functionality. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Can the Tascam DR-60D record two mics in stereo?
on Apr 3, 2015 at 9:04:02 pm

Are you sure you have it set up properly? I agree it seems preposterous that it wouldn't perform such a very basic function.

Have you studied the manual and taken an hour or two to play with all the menu settings, etc. etc,

You have not revealed HOW you tested this and arrived at your conclusion, so it seems possible that your test method may be questionable.

Return to posts index

Ty Flowers
on Apr 3, 2015 at 9:10:27 pm
Last Edited By Ty Flowers on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:43:34 pm

I just spent about three hours with it, read manuals etc. I've variously tried to solve this problem before, but hadn't tested the result until the next shoot. So, I thought that "dual stereo" mode is what I was looking for, but what that seems to do is to record two individual mono channels, and then create a new file of 2 mono channels at a lower db rating. There's a "4-channel" mode, but that seems to only allow you to designate inputs 1 and 2 to the same single mono status, while allowing a mini-jack to record extra audio channels through the 3rd and 4th input. It's really nuts to me, and I've been using this thing for a long time now under many assurances that it would give me professional audio under normal circumstances. I really do hope I'm somehow mistaken, but I've run out of options personally.

Re - specific test methods: The file it makes is 2-channel. Mic 1 on the Left, Mic 2 on the Right. If it were what I want, it'd be a 4-channel audio file, the first two comprising channel 1, the last two comprising channel 2.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 3, 2015 at 11:49:31 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Apr 3, 2015 at 11:52:44 pm

"The file it makes is 2-channel. Mic 1 on the Left, Mic 2 on the Right."
Yes, that is exactly how ever stereo audio recorder on the planet works. It sounds like it is working perfectly.

"If it were what I want, it'd be a 4-channel audio file, the first two comprising channel 1, the last two comprising channel 2."

No recorder on the planet will do that because nobody has ever established WHY anyone would need to do such a thing. Now, if you were talking about FOUR microphones on four channels, that is a normal thing. But TWO microphones redundantly recorded to FOUR channels just seems bizarre. Can you explain why you think you want to do this?

Return to posts index

Ty Flowers
on Apr 3, 2015 at 11:57:46 pm

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm trying to get input 1 to give me a stereo audio file, and input 2 to also give me a stereo audio file. Normally I've seen these as a single audio file with two stereo tracks. Is this incorrect?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 4, 2015 at 12:02:12 am

But WHY do you want a STEREO file from a MONAURAL source? The reason no recorder will do that is because nobody needs such a feature. Why do YOU need that feature?

Return to posts index

Ty Flowers
on Apr 4, 2015 at 12:09:28 am

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm confused. I'm using a Rode NTG-3 and a Countryman EMW Lavaliere. Are those microphones only capable of giving a mono signal? I might be more confused than I thought.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 4, 2015 at 12:44:15 am

Virtually all microphones are monaural. Only some very special microphones are STEREO and they are prominently advertised as such.

Your microphones are most certainly monaural. And for picking up most sounds in video, conventional monaural microphones are used 99.997% of the time. Certainly, for picking up dialog, monaural microphones are used 100% of the time. There is absolutely NO REASON in the universe to record a single person speaking in "STEREO". (Unless it is a weasly politician speaking different things out of both sides of their mouth!) :-)

Perhaps you are confusing what happens while you are shooting video (and recording audio) vs. what happens in POST-production editing where you decide which microphone goes where in the stereo panorama. When we are shooting, we record each separate microphone on a separate channel. It is VERY common when using two mics (as you are describing) to record one of the microphones on the Left channel of the stereo, and the other microphone on the Right channel.

Then, you have the maximum flexibility of handling each microphone independently for all the usual audio editing functions (level mixing, panning Left<-->Right, equalization, special effects, etc. etc. etc.)

Return to posts index

Ty Flowers
on Apr 4, 2015 at 6:16:19 pm

Well, thank you very much for the response. I went from being in complete disbelief that this device couldn't do what I thought it should do, to complete disbelief that I didn't know it was working correctly the whole time. Thank you for clearing it up.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 4, 2015 at 6:37:25 pm

Ty,

That particular box reminds me of a Rubics Cube. Lots of buttons and menus.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It has caused more than one person to scratch their head and utter, "WTF?"

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Kevin Thorkildsen
on Jun 21, 2016 at 6:28:32 pm

Have you found a solution? Im also trying to have input 1 to give me a stereo audio file, and input 2 to also give me a stereo audio file, so that the end result is two stereo files of each individual channel. Haven't found a solution in the menu (yet). I have two mono microphones and Id like to be able to use both. The problem with recording both mics in one stereo file is that the left and right channels won't be the same volume and will have different sounds. It is extremely bothersome to listen with headphones to an interview if the audio isn't matched in headphones.

Return to posts index

Jared Isham
on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:15:26 pm

First thing to note is that it is impossible to get a true stereo file with only 1 mono microphone.

The most the DR-60DMkII will do is give you 2 stereo files. If you go to the Menu>Rec Mode set the Rec Mode to Stereo and then for Source set it to CH 1/2. You will then get a single stereo file with Left Channel Input 1 and Right Channel Input 2.

If you want to record with your 1/8" mic input then select 4CH as the record Mode or switch the Source to CH 3/4

Alternately you can set the Rec Mode to DUAL ST and that will give you a stereo file for Input 1 that will have the same mic on both channels but with the Dual Level feature enabled. Input 2 will create a similar file. All depending on your choice selected for the Source.

Hope that helps.

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
http://www.stgham.com
http://www.jaredisham.com
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

Kevin Thorkildsen
on Jun 22, 2016 at 3:28:20 pm

Can I record two mono files from channel 1 and channel 2 so that they're not synced together in one file?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 4, 2015 at 12:19:13 am

Hello Ty and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes, it should be possible to have a two channel stereo file.

Page 50 of the manual confirms that two channel recording is possible.

Does that make two separate files?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Jared Isham
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:04:17 am

I know that mics don't record stereo unless it is a stereo mic. But from what I would love, and I'm not sure if it is possible since I only got the device today, is if I could record 4 channel audio into a single file so that I have 4 mono tracks in one file instead of 4 separate files for each channel.

I would get these files from audio guys all the time when working in Reality TV. Also, I think the H4n does this so I would assume this could do it as well.

That also might be a little closer to what the OP was attempting to get.

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:38:50 am

Hello Jared,

1. You do not need a stereo mic to record stereo. You can use any two mics if you position them correctly. They don't HAVE to be the same, but most people would want two of the same model. Some others want a pair of matched mics.

2. what I think you're asking for is a poly wave file. That's one file that includes a number of tracks. There may be a setting in your recorder that does this.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Jared Isham
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:45:54 am

The Poly wave file is what I was looking for. Didn't know the name. I'll do some more searching through the manual.

Thanks so much.

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]