FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable Recorders

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Reardon
Portable Recorders
on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:30:23 am

Hello, I am new here and made just made an account, I have a question that I can't find an answer to.

I am in the market for a portable recorder for some video production, no-budget movies. I have looked at the Zoom H4n.

I like the idea of 4 channel recording. I was wondering if I can use the mics on the recorder and a boom mic at the same time.

In my research, I believe using just a boom mic will only record audio on one side. I can make it a mono file which will balance the recording. But using this setting, I think it is stereo, I don't get audio from the on board mics of the recorder. Is there a way to use 4 channel and one boom mic (with balanced recording)?

If this can't be done on the Zoom H4n, could anyone possibly suggest to me a portable recorder that could do what I am looking for? If not, would the H4n be worth the money just to use stereo setting and switch it to mono file for balanced recording.

If none of this makes sense - simplified, I would like a portable recording device with which to use a boom mic for a movie. I am just looking to get high quality audio.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Portable Recorders
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:29:45 am
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:31:21 am

The H4n is now getting an old design recorder, (with the problems that came with that era of recorders).
Some of the newer design recorders from Zoom and Tascam may fill your needs better, lower noise pre-amps, better battery life etc etc.
There are MANY reviews on the H4n and its problems on many forums.
As you are new to recording you may look at buying a shotgun mic, the RODE NTG2 mic is a bad partner with many digital recorders because of the low output level.

Spend some time going through this and other forums and you will find LOTS of useful info.

https://forums.creativecow.net/search.php?q=h4n&f%5B%5D=30

Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles......

Return to posts index

Jake Reardon
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:00:40 pm

I actually have a Rode NTG2. Is there a lower budget portable recorder that you would suggest to use with that mic? At the absolute most I would spend $500 but I would like to find one for about $200.

If you were in my position what would you use?

Return to posts index

Jake Reardon
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:30:01 pm

I have looked through some of the threads from that link. I found the one about the NTG2 and Hn4.

I am only asking for suggestions because I do not know audio and audio equipment. So I am asking if there is anyone who can suggest something for me to use to get the best audio I can from my shoots.

I have a Panasonic AG-AC90a and a Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic. What I have been doing is going from mic to camera and recording audio and video in the same file on the SD card. I have been editing on Avid.

The capstone classes at school have separate audio and video recording, I would like to duplicate that but I do not have the budget the school does to get "nice" equipment. I want to start production on a movie this summer. I will use the current set-up I have, but I would like to make sure I am getting quality audio. I feel like a shotgun mic and portable recorder would be the better choice. So, using an NTG2 - is there a good ($200-$500) portable recorder to buy? Or, am I S.O.L. and I should just keep recording the way I have been?

I would like to not have to buy another mic as I don't think I can return the NTG2, so I am stuck with that. I have tried google-ing these question but I cannot find answers. Seeking out a forum was a last resort. I hope I can get help from here.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:35:59 pm

Why would you want to take a backward step in splitting the audio away from the camera? Film schools use split system to get more people involved in the shooting process rather than having people sitting around with nothing to do.
Why do people that shoot Doco's, and TV networks prefer to record the audio onto the Video camera?...... The reason it's easier and eliminates MANY problems in post production.

Come on do a Google search for what your after, even a simple 'H4n vs' brings up hundreds of results remember what suits you may not suit another person.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SKPB_en...

Remember you will learn MUCH more by doing your own research on the subject.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]