FORUMS: list search recent posts

first use of shotgun mic on boom

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
first use of shotgun mic on boom
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:53:36 am

I've always used a lav mic for projects and when I need to shoot with a shotgun mic on a pole, I hire someone with equipment to do it for me.

Yesterday, I bought myself a Zoom H6, a Rode boom pole, a Boya BY-PVM100 shotgun mic with shock mount (yeah I know, pros don't like using super low priced mics like this, but it's perfect for one project that I'm doing). When I tried them this morning, I can hear the vibrations of my hand as I work the boom pole. I thought the shock mount will dampen vibrations from the hands, but it doesn't. I would need to hold and move the boom pole very very carefully. If I change my hold, it gets heard on the shotgun mic. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks! God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: first use of shotgun mic on boom
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:18:01 am
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:22:36 am

Hello Clyde and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Perhaps it's not so perfect after all.

It might be interesting to try a more industry standard rig to determine whether the handling noise is caused by a lack of isolation or a lack of boom operating experience.

Some years back Sennheiser brought a mic to market that exhibited quite a bit of handling noise. The invision INV-7 suspension mount from Rycote did a great job of getting rid of the handling noise.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:22:05 pm

Thanks Ty!

It was a great option as far as budget was concerned. I also found a test video on the web and sound was good enough. Although i didn't see it mounted on a boom. You're right. It might not be perfect after all.

From where i live, there are only two options to get a shock mount: buy this Boya shotgun (because it's the only one with an included shock mount) or buy the Rode blimp. I chose the first option because it fits my budget. Do you have experience with the Rode blimp (with shock mount)? Is it good at eliminating handling noise. Again, thank you and God bless!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:52:25 pm

I had a bit of handling noise on a pole once and found 2 soulutions eliminated it (both to be used at once.

1) Go to your local sports shop, buy a neoprene yoga mat and wrap it round the handle and secure. I did it twice round.
2) Dont adjust your grip during a take.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:14:22 pm

[clyde villegas] "I can hear the vibrations of my hand as I work the boom pole. I thought the shock mount will dampen vibrations from the hands, but it doesn't."

Actually, it probably does. Dampen doesn't mean eliminate.

There are a number of ways mechanical noise can enter your mic. One is through your handling of the pole. Another is through the cable. Yet another is through the air. If you do this enough, you learn to be careful of all these, and more.

The thing to remember with booming is soft hands. You don't handle a boom pole like you would a baseball bat. And booming is often more about your feet than your hands. It's also more about your wrists and your elbows and shoulders. Once the take starts, you don't change hand positions; if you need to get closer / further away, use your feet. If you need to rotate the mic for better aim, use your wrists / elbows.

How do you know how to position your hands on the pole so you can do the above seamlessly? Experience. Just sayin'.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 27, 2015 at 6:53:10 pm

and please know that the word is damp, not dampen.

Dampen means you wet something.

Damp means you reduce vibration.

Yes, booming is a skill that requires that you learn how to move your hands quietly, however, an inadequate suspension mount can ruin your entire day.

That's why I pointed you at the Rycote gear.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader
(and part-time vocabularian)

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Feb 27, 2015 at 9:45:40 pm

I went to a rental shop yesterday to borrow a decent shock mount. But while I'm there, i tried to isolate each part of my mic set by trying out their blimp, pole, audio technica microphone, cable, etc. I found out that it was the mic that's causing the noise. So I went back to the store and replaced my mic with a Rode (the only branded mic they sell). The Rode NTG2 also didn't exhibit handling noise.

Now my next question is this: can I put a battery inside the NTG2 and turn on my H6's phantom power so i can even lower the recorder's volume? Will this damage the mic or the H6?

Thank you very much guys fir helping me out.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:12:03 pm

[clyde villegas] "Now my next question is this: can I put a battery inside the NTG2 and turn on my H6's phantom power so i can even lower the recorder's volume? Will this damage the mic or the H6?"

If you put a battery in the NTG2, you should turn off the phantom power on your recorder. Turing on the phantom power has nothing to do with recording volume, but it will lengthen the battery life of your recorder. Some recorders do not like being plugged into a battery powered microphone. Increased noise is usually the result.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Feb 27, 2015 at 11:04:31 pm

Thanks Ty. I will do that.

I noticed that using the H6's phantom creates less noise. Yesterday I checked out the specs and it says impedance is 200 ohms for battery and 300ohms for phantom (if i remember the numbers correctly).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 28, 2015 at 12:34:06 am

Hi Clyde,

OK. Ohms is an impedance amount. That may or may not have anything to do with noise.

Typically an external 48 V DC phantom supply does result in a slightly lower noise figure than a small battery whose voltage has to be converted up to 48 V DC.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Feb 28, 2015 at 3:32:08 pm

[Ty Ford] "and please know that the word is damp, not dampen."

Just using the OP's terminology, in an effort to communicate. But yes, it's "damp" and not "dampen" in this case. Must be one of your pet peeves? I've got a few of those...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 28, 2015 at 3:56:18 pm

Bruce,

I like being accurate with written and spoken word. This is about that. People make judgements about you when you stray from the correct use of words.

Now, about my pet peeves. The biggest one is about the loss of adverbs in daily language.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]