FORUMS: list search recent posts

What mics to use for documentary on GH4?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lilienthal
What mics to use for documentary on GH4?
on Feb 11, 2015 at 11:41:58 pm

Hi there -

I just bought a GH4 and am shooting a short documentary as a way to get out there and start practicing my shooting and filmmaking skills. I want to shoot both formal interviews, and run and gun type stuff.

There is a lot of info out there telling me not to plug a mic straight into the camera, but to get an external recorder like a Zoom h4 or something. I have a several questions. If I get something like the Rode Videomic, is there a huge difference in quality between plugging it right into the GH4 as opposed to plugging it in to the Zoom? Is it best to have the Rode mounted on top of the camera or should I get a boom for it?

What is a good quality/low cost lavaliere mic for interviews? Do I also plug this straight in to the Zoom? Does the zoom need any special adapter to handle the rode or the lav?

I know i just barraged you all with questions, but Im very eager to start shooting!

Thank you so much in advance.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: What mics to use for documentary on GH4?
on Feb 12, 2015 at 3:48:11 am

[Alan Lilienthal] "There is a lot of info out there telling me not to plug a mic straight into the camera, but to get an external recorder like a Zoom h4 or something."

You can get great results recording audio on-camera. Your mic, placement and external pre-amp (if necessary) will make all the difference.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Alan Lilienthal
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:50:28 am

Under which circumstances would you say it is "necessary" to use a pre-amp as opposed to just going straight in?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:13:27 am

Alan I will answer your question with a question...... How do news broadcasters do it? And why do they do it that way? Why do they use hand held interview microphones, lavalier mics, boom mics etc.
Why don't they do interviews using the camera top mic?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]