FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless G3 lav mic on a person holding a second handheld mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chon teck
Wireless G3 lav mic on a person holding a second handheld mic
on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:06:34 pm

Dear All,

I'm trying to film a talk and plan to use the sennheiser g3 wireless system with a lav mic on the speaker who may be holding a second handheld mic.

Due to the circumstances of the event, I'm not abke to find out beforehand if the second handheld mic is wired or wireless, and I have to plan in such a way that I can't get the output from the mixer that is plugged to the handheld mic.

My question is: are there any potential issues if the person with the lav mic is also speaking into a second handheld mic?

Thanks in advance!
ct

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Wireless G3 lav mic on a person holding a second handheld mic
on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:16:52 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:20:22 pm

The only issue is where BOTH mics are wireless and on the same (or adjacent) channels.
There is no acoustical issue with having two mics together. We have all seen press conferences where there are literally dozens of mics in a forest around the subject.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:12:45 am

I think an issue you will run into if 1 mic is wireless and 1 is wired but they both contain the SAME persons voice is that there will be a DELAY on the radio mic signal. This may be less than a frame so nudging it in a video editor wont be possible to sync perfectly, and having both open in the mix can cause phasing issues or make your audio go rather metallic sounding.
Id try to use only 1
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:46:32 pm

It sounds like chon teck is asking about bringing in HIS wireless mic and compatibility with the venue microphone (wireless or wired). I didn't get the impression that he was going to use (or even have access to) BOTH signals.

Of course, Peter is correct that there may still be phasing/delay problems between chon teck's own wireless mic and whatever might be picked up from the venue reinforcement system. However, with his wireless mic clipped right ON the subject, I would expect this to be minimal in practical application. Of course what is acceptable for a low-budget document of a live presentation would not be good enough for a big-budget feature film, etc.

But I think chon teck's question was about that common belief that adjacent microphones somehow "interfere" with each other. (Which they do NOT except as maybe a minor 3rd-order effect.)

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:55:08 pm

If it were me Id
1) ditch the hand held. They sound awful, pop like mad, look rubbish on camera and are rarely held consistently in the right place to make the audio good.
2) put my g3 on the speaker (inverted to reduce plosives)
3) put the receiver into the mixer to supply Pa
4) take a feed from the mixer for my recording

CARE! personal mics arent always best for PA applications and can be prone to feedback if driven too hard. Mke sure the levels are carefully set up and itll be fine
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]