FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording good audio on a panel debate

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago Pilgrim
recording good audio on a panel debate
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:08:26 am

Hi all,

I am quoting for a project that will involved filming 3 people in a panel debate, with another individual hosting the debate.

I am OK with filming this, probably have three cameras and two operators. But my main issue is with sound.

What is the best way to mic this up? My initial thought was to put lav mics on each speaker, but this will be costly and a pain in the backside when it comes to editing. Can this be done with a shotgun mic positioned above the speakers? What sort of stand would I need for this?

This is an example of what I'm trying to achieve, they don't have lav mics, so presumably theres a shotgun mic somewhere above them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Santiago Pilgrim
Re: recording good audio on a panel debate
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:55:18 am

I've just spotted the PZMs on the tables...

Still, any suggestions as to the best possible results for this shoot would be great.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:17:31 pm

Id put a personal radio on everyone and get someone to mix it, whilst keeping a iSO feed to the presenter
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:18:17 pm

By "someone" I mean an experiences audio pro, not anyone who hasnt any other job at the time
`Peter

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:20:21 pm

Yes, they have a boundary microphone between each two participants. But note there is a lot of room noise because the mics are so far away from the subjects' mouths. That may be acceptable for some kinds of productions, and not for others.

And SOME of that could have been filtered out. It all depends on your acoustic conditions, your budget/resources, and what expectations you have of the quality of the audio track.

Shotgun microphones are typically unsuitable for indoor use around reflective surfaces like that because the reflections disrupt the directional operation of the mic, and render it just an ordinary mic too far away. OTOH, boundary mics like that DEPEND on those same reflective surfaces to operate properly.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:32:15 pm

Hello Santiago and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I actually surprised that the PZMs sound as good as they do. I think there was some post work done. They probably isoed the PZMs and did the right thing in post.

This is not really a PITA, Santiago. It's really pretty simple and results in a much tighter audio track.

Welcome to audio!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow AUdio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Santiago Pilgrim
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:14:40 am

Thanks all.

Some sound advice as expected.

I am going to hire a sound recordist and put a G3 wireless on each speaker hooked up to a mixer.

I think that's the most professional solution.

Thanks again!

Santiago

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:14:55 am

Do get an ISO of the main speaker
ie a complete recording of his mic on its own channel not affected by the mix at all. It will be important as he is the moderator
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]