FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interfaces, Firewire/USB

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Stark
Interfaces, Firewire/USB
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:03:16 pm

Ok, needing some help from those wiser and more experienced.

My in-house setup is a desktop running Windows with Firewire connections. I use a Presonus Firestudio Project (which is also Firewire). I also have a nice new laptop that does not have firewire inputs nor an expansion card slot. I would like to use the FireStudio Project with the laptop. What do I do?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Interfaces, Firewire/USB
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:28:26 pm

If you had revealed what your "nice new laptop" is, we would know what options you might have.
It seems quite possible that you have simply painted yourself into a corner and you need to to replace your Presonus with something that has a modern interface. Firewire is all but dead. Which is why likely no modern laptop computers have Firewire anymore. Firewire is antique technology, replaced by USB3, Thunderbolt, etc. And of course USB3 and Thunderbolt will be antique in a few years, also. For better or worse, that is called "progress".

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:35:17 pm

Hi, Richard.

Thanks for responding.

Not sure how exactly to describe the laptop. This is the info from way back when I ordered it: HP ENVY 17T-J100 Notebook, 17.3" Full-HD 1080p, Intel Core i7-4700MQ Quad-Core 2.4GHz, 16GB DDR3, 1TB SATA, 802.11n, Win8.1Pro

I was afraid that is exactly what has happened in regards to the corner I seemed to have painted myself in. I have tried to find out about USB/Firewire converters, but I see conflicting things. I understand that the two formats are totally different, but I see some people saying it worked for them.

I love my FireStudio Project and wish there was some way to still use it.

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:44:01 pm

I'm looking not at a PreSonus Audiobox 1818 VSL. I can use that and link my FireStudio Project via the S/PDIF in/out.

Can anyone comment on the Audiobox not playing nice with USB 3.0?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]