FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Devices 302 and Zoom H4N?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Sound Devices 302 and Zoom H4N?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:43:57 pm

I while back I came across this video and wanted to try this out.

Then I started thinking, we just purchased the new Canon c100 mII, which can record uncompressed audio in AVCHD. So I wouldn't need to capture using the Zoom and sync in post. Well, what if I wanted to use the Zoom H4N as a back up recorder, thus capturing dual system sound anyway. Is it possible to do this with the SD 302, camera and Zoom H4N

I have a typical interview set up with 1 LAV mic and 1 BOOM mic coming into ch. 1&2 on 302 at MIC level. I plan to send the LINE level outputs to our Canon c100mII, but would also like to send an output of both channels to our Zoom H4N to capture dual system sound as backup. Is this possible? Is this possible using the TAPE OUT/MIX OUT via the TA3 connector? The TA3 to XLR would only cover one channel or down mix the output. Is there a way to output both channels independently via a splitter cable of sorts into the Zoom LINE inputs using 1/4" as Roland describes above?

Isn't this a pretty standard thing to capture audio from field mixer to camera and to an audio recorder. What's the best way to set this up? Have I over thought this?

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Sound Devices 302 and Zoom H4N?
on Jan 28, 2015 at 2:56:50 am

There is nothing to indicate that the audio recording performance of your Canon c100 camcorder is any better than the H4n. Its only advantage being that it is automatically synced and integrated with the video recording.

Sure, using the H4n as a backup to the c100 (or vice-versa) is not a bad ideal. It just needs the appropriate cables to connect everything properly.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 28, 2015 at 3:44:09 pm

Thanks for the response Richard. I should have been more clear on a few things, my apologies. Yes the c100 records uncompressed in the AVCHD format, however just about every set I've ever been on records dual system sound. Both to the camera and an audio recorder, which 99% of the time is a high end Sound Devices recorder. Even though they are shooting with Red, Arri or anything high end, they are still capturing back ups to the audio recorders.

Since we're a bit low budge over here, we finally purchased the SD 302. And while we will send that feed to the c100, I'm simply wondering if we can still utilize our Zoom to capture as a back up. More importantly, how would you do so, maintaining separate channels vs. a mix down coming out of the 302, say via the TA3 Tape Out. Can that be separated out via a splitter cable and taken into the Zoom's 1 & 2 inputs?

Often times we record the interview with Boom & LAV or if 2 people, 2 LAVs, so we need to keep the channels separate.

Thanks again for your comments. And any further help is also appreciated.

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:43:13 pm

There are two sets of outputs from the SD302. Clearly, there are the L/R pair of XLR outputs which can be set for mic-level or line-level. One option is to take the XLR outputs, and SPLIT them to send L and R to both the camera and to the recorder.

The other option is to get/make a cable that takes the SD302 "MIX OUT" (3-pin Lemo). Then you can use the XLR outputs to the camera, and the 3-pin Lemo output to the recorder (or vice-versa).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]