FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N not picking up audio from Rode NTG3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jandy Hardesty
Zoom H4N not picking up audio from Rode NTG3
on Jan 26, 2015 at 6:35:44 pm

Hi, I apologize if this ends up being a newbie issue, but I'm a video producer (not an audio expert) and I'm trying to get a decent audio set up working for our video shoots. We've had a Zoom H4N for a while, using it with our lapel mic, which works fine. (That uses a wireless receiver connected to the Zoom via a miniplug to XLR cable - like this one - http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mH_9ULy3T8UB6jFLHhgnpBw.jpg). We just bought a Rode NTG3 and boom pole, but when we plug it into the Zoom via XLR, there's no signal coming through at all. I was thinking it might be a phantom power issue, but it seems like based on other posts in this forum that the Zoom does provide phantom power, it just burns through it quickly. We're not getting ANYTHING through at all, so I'm wondering if there's something else.

Is there some setting on the Zoom I need to change or something? For reference, I've also had issues getting smaller mics (meant for top-of-camera usage) that have miniplug connections to work with the Zoom's miniplug input. So there may be something more going on with this beyond the NTG3.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Zoom H4N not picking up audio from Rode NTG3
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:19:14 pm

So are you SURE that you turned on the phantom power properly? Is your mic cable broken? That combination is not noted for working well, but it is also not known for being non-functional.

Return to posts index

Jandy Hardesty
Re: Zoom H4N not picking up audio from Rode NTG3
on Jan 27, 2015 at 3:06:07 pm

I told you it was a newbie question! I think it might indeed be that I didn't know I had to turn phantom power on. We'll test it today and see.

You mention that it's not really a great combination in the first place. Would the next step to a better setup be a field mixer or something like that? I need to make a list to give to my boss on the next budget go-around. The application is sound on interviews/sound bytes at events we're covering for internal news items, things like that. We usually have a 2-person crew, so we need to stay relatively minimal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]