FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on this audio?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Thoughts on this audio?
on Jan 23, 2015 at 9:47:23 pm

This sounds to me like I'm clipping. I also know there's lots of background noise but, hey, documentary filmmakers can't always tell them to turn off the car!

Thoughts on the sound?

8439_howisthismicdoing.aif.zip

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Thoughts on this audio?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 5:32:32 am

Yes, it does sound like it is clipping. Although the waveform does not show the typical flattened peaks, so something more complex is going on there.

The background noise is a different issue, and all the usual techniques apply to increasing the signal to noise ratio.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jan 25, 2015 at 11:39:57 pm

thoughts on what might be happening? I'm figuring the signal from the shotgun is clipping so it's clipping before it enters the camera hence the reason the wave form looks the way it does.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:21:36 pm

Yes it seems possible that it is clipping in the microphone, especially in a noisy ambient where the subject is likely speaking loudly. That is one of the reasons why it is popular to use a low-sensitivity dynamic microphone in a loud environment. Of course you MUST hold the microphone close to the subject's mouth in order to hear them. This is not the kind of ambient where distant shotgun mics perform well for dialog capture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]