FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing white noise and hum when Audacity's noise removal fails you?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Herbst
Removing white noise and hum when Audacity's noise removal fails you?
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:27:17 pm

I've got an audio clip from an interview I did recently that's proving especially difficult to run noise-removal on in Audacity. We had to film it at a firestation with lots of background noise so I set my Tascam DR-60 recording levels to low when I recored her with a boom mic. Wish I hadn't done that as now I have to amplify the track a ton just to hear her, which also amps up white-noise and humming. I've tried using Audacity's noise removal feature but that ends up distorting her voice and it ends up sounding even worse.
Does anyone have some tips for removing white-noise and hum in Audacity when the noise removal tool fails you?
Here's the track after being amplified: 8378_amplified.aiff.zip
Same track after applying noise-removal: 8377_amplifiednoiseremoved.aiff.zip
he first is the track amplified, the second is the amplified track after I've run noise removal.
Trying to finish this project by Sunday so any advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dwight Cook
Re: Removing white noise and hum when Audacity's noise removal fails you?
on Jan 8, 2015 at 3:39:05 pm

Hi, I listened to your interview and thought I would throw in my two cents. I find subtle processing is the key. I used iZotope RX2 denoiser and after sampling some hom/hiss at the rear of the file was able to reduce the noise.

https://rcpt.hightail.com/2693232662/4d98e0f4b66548057fb75493744ef91d?cid=t...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Erin Herbst
on Jan 8, 2015 at 8:23:34 pm

Wow Dwight that is such an improvement! I'm downloading a trial of isotope now. Can you tell me what settings used (even just providing a screenshot would be fine) when you ran the denoiser?
You're a lifesaver. I really can't thank you enough.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:10:42 pm

What NLE do you use? Premiere Pro comes with Audition which does a pretty decent job with this. Audacity is good for freeware, but other pro apps will give you much greater control.

Noise reduction isn't always a good thing to use, it can often make things sound worse if you're not careful. Try noise reduction with some EQ or notch filtering afterwards. You won't be able to get rid of it, but you can def. reduce it.

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]