FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making dialogue recorded at close range sound like it is from a distance.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Reeves
Making dialogue recorded at close range sound like it is from a distance.
on Jan 7, 2015 at 3:06:15 am

I have a scene where two men are talking at a distance, exterior, in the woods. Not yelling. Just normal speaking voices.

The audio was all recorded at close range and there is no re-record option.

The audio is nice and clear, but unnatural in a long POV from one man to the other.

What are some in-house FCP filters and (if you know them by heart) their settings to create the feeling that the lines are coming from the distance that they were visually shot/represented.

I found an old tutorial on here where a guy gave good instructions using the AUFilter but the audio ends up so low its almost inaudible and he was offering this for an interior scene.

One other question: I'm (evidently) green with sound engineering. What audio level range would you edit at in order to play it safe for a final audio level…if that makes any sense. Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Making dialogue recorded at close range sound like it is from a distance.
on Jan 7, 2015 at 5:09:24 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 7, 2015 at 5:54:01 pm

in parametric eq 10 band, lower 100hz-500hz geometrically less the higher freqs, and add subtle reverb, which naturally comes from trees and hills echoing.
Also, you can add noise from wind in leaves rustling(very small amount)

the actual db level would probably be a little lower too to seem more distant unless they are yelling.

Remember in a movie, not everything is 100% real as the viewer still needs to hear and understand the story.
I would rather have video I can't see and good audio I can understand than visa versa, unless they are really good subtitles, jk.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 8, 2015 at 2:24:10 am

What needs to be done is to "Worldize" the tracks by playing them back on a good speaker system in a quiet setting and re-record the sound from the speaker at a distance that gives you the perspective that works for the shot.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 18, 2015 at 4:10:28 pm

ingenious!

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]