FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Plays on computer, but goes near mute on Mobile Phone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Zamora
Audio Plays on computer, but goes near mute on Mobile Phone
on Dec 16, 2014 at 5:09:01 pm

Hi All,

This has to do more with editing audio. I shot some talking heads with an H4N, and when I playback the footage on my comp, the orientation of two subjects sounds different from the rest. Then, when I export the footage and play off a mobile phone, those same subjects' lines go damn near mute. The audio is audible on a computer.

I edited on FCP 7, and did have to use a gain filter for the audio.

Any one come across the problem before? A push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as this is meant to be streamed on mobile devices, and I would like to avoid this bullet in the future.

PS: When I add my audio to the timeline, it adds on as Stereo.

Thank you!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Audio Plays on computer, but goes near mute on Mobile Phone
on Dec 16, 2014 at 5:31:43 pm

The most common cause of your symptom is that one of the "stereo" channels is reverse-phase from the other. You didn't explain how you miked or mixed the audio for recording? It is almost NEVER EVER a good idea to use "stereo" for dialog, and you have provided the prime example WHY. Try using JUST ONE of the tracks, either Left or Right, but NEVER BOTH.

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Dec 16, 2014 at 6:28:15 pm

Richard,

Thank you so much, you pointed me in the right direction! I split the tracks, deleted A2, and duplicated A1; adjusting pan accordingly.

Audio now plays on mobile phones.

By the way, I used a sennheiser cardio mic off a boom pole, H4N set to stereo, Gain somewhere between 25 and 30.

Thanks again!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 16, 2014 at 7:18:41 pm

You plugged a monaural balanced microphone into a stereo mic input and it recorded +signal on the left track, and -signal on the right track. Either track by itself would work, but when you combine them, they virtually cancel. You need to use a proper adapter/cable when connecting that microphone to your camera or recorder or whatever you used (undisclosed?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]