FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H5 + NTG2 = Too noisy :-( Upgrade to NTG3 or in-line preamp?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Elliott
Zoom H5 + NTG2 = Too noisy :-( Upgrade to NTG3 or in-line preamp?
on Nov 27, 2014 at 3:50:27 pm

Take a look at 0.30-0.40 of this video it pretty much sums up my noise floor problem

I have this same problem re:hissing from the NTG2. Obviously the NTG3 is a bit more expensive and will get rid of the hissing. But is there cheaper way i can do this. Ive heard of inline preamps like the Triton audio Fethead?

Or is the problem the H5? The h5 sounds great with the NTG3 in this vid

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Zoom H5 + NTG2 = Too noisy :-( Upgrade to NTG3 or in-line preamp?
on Nov 27, 2014 at 8:22:20 pm

My H5 sounds great on my mics too. Why not get a Mixpre and be able to really appropriately monitor the lines with great clear readable meters, rather than the ok, but minimalistic H5 screen? You'll get a clean line in with it, and you can feed your camera as well as the Zoom.

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 29, 2014 at 3:22:41 am

Hello Jim and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Thanks for including Sam's work.

Was the NTG-2 powered by internal battery or external Phantom Power? That might make a difference in the amount of selfnoise.

Yes, there's some hiss audible with the NTG-2 in a quiet room. I doubt you'd hear the selfnoise outside.

Yes, the NTG-3 is quieter than the NTG-2 and smoother.

If you intend to do a lot of run & gun shooting, the NTG-2 will work just fine. OTOH, if you do a lot of studio work in quiet environments with low talking talent, having mic with the lowest noise floor can make a difference.

I doubt the preamp module will help you as it will also amplify the NTG-2 selfnoise.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Eric Zee
on Jun 1, 2016 at 8:11:36 am

Hi,
I have this combination and not happy with the noise. Is with phantom power lower noise?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:29:41 pm

There is a big difference between the NTG2 and NTG3. The NYG3 is a lot more sensitive than the NTG2.

That means you'll not need as much preamp gain, and that's probably where the noise is coming from.

Know as well that your use of the mics has a lot to do with how well they work. If you're trying to get good sound with any shotgun that's camera mounted, you're too far away to get good sound, period.

The shotgun is supposed o be on a boom and within two feet (preferrably closer) of the talent. If you're farther away then even great shotguns won't sound that good. A shotgun mic is not like a zoom lens on a camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]