FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G3 Interference Nightmare

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Stone
Sennheiser G3 Interference Nightmare
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:38:18 pm

We just bought three sets of the Sennheiser G3 wireless audio kits and they're a nightmare – constant interference and static hits. We do the Easy Setup and Sync at each location which doesn't help at all. And we're dealing with talking heads no more than 10 feet from the camera. Our usual sound guy calls the G3 series "garbage" but that's coming from a guy with a bag full of Lectrosonics.

Before I throw these in the dumpster I thought I'd see if there's a trick or something we're not doing right. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Sennheiser G3 Interference Nightmare
on Nov 26, 2014 at 4:22:01 pm

I use G3s all the time with next to no issues. Have you scanned new lists to find clear frequencies?

Steve

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Nov 26, 2014 at 7:21:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, Steve. We do and it doesn't seem to help.

What does help is making sure the RX and TX can see each other. That means mounting the TX units to the front of the talent and hanging the RX units on the front of the camera. This kind of defeats the purpose of wireless, though.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 26, 2014 at 9:40:13 pm

These days with so much RF around you need to get a bit smarter, the scans often done by radio mics is only very basic, get one of these and actually see whats around.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/rf-explorer-model-wsub1g-p-922.html

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 27, 2014 at 8:19:07 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Nov 27, 2014 at 8:27:24 pm

Brian, which model would you recommend? My G3 says it has a Freq. range of 526-558. So that means that theoretically I would only need the WSUB1G or the combo unit. Is there any real need for G3 to have the other 3G Combo?

Thanks for the tip. It hasn't been a problem for me but could be in the future.

Al

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 27, 2014 at 10:05:11 pm

You should only need a unit relevant to the frequency band you are using..... BUT with frequency bands for radio microphones changing world wide you may wish to think ahead to where any future use might be.
I bought one of the earlier models (several years ago) and have been VERY happy with its results

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 27, 2014 at 3:10:14 am

Hello Daniel and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Which frequency block did you buy? What CIty are you in? What frequency are the Lectros on?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Nov 27, 2014 at 11:20:01 pm

I have several Senn G3 evolutions from 526-6#3# lavs set. They're OK for some projects. But I notice they don't do well in open space (battle ship, public parks, large auditorium) even after a new freq scan performed. Constantly drop audio every few seconds here and there. This is where I rely on Sony & Lectro for peace of mind reliability in challenging situations.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Nov 28, 2014 at 3:23:23 pm

[Daniel Stone] "We just bought three sets of the Sennheiser G3 wireless audio kits and they're a nightmare"

Well, at least you start with a good attitude.

[Daniel Stone] "We do the Easy Setup and Sync at each location which doesn't help at all."

You're keeping track of the frequencies you pick so that you use a different frequency for each transmitter/receiver set, yes? Including the Lectros. One of the interesting rookie mistakes people make is they carefully turn on exactly one receiver, run a freq. scan, pick the default frequency, sync with the transmitter, then shut that pair off and power up the next one. Rinse and repeat. And they all end up on the same frequency.

[Daniel Stone] "And we're dealing with talking heads no more than 10 feet from the camera."

And for this you're using wireless? Wireless is a last resort, not a first. If you can run XLR cables, then run cables. The best wireless system sounds almost as good as a $20 cable, and is much less reliable.

[Daniel Stone] "Before I throw these in the dumpster I thought I'd see if there's a trick or something we're not doing right."

Sounds like operator error to me. I've managed to get flawless service from my Sennheiser G3s in a mid-town Manhattan hotel, and on the associated trade show floor. There are few more challenging RF environments. I'm just sayin' that the equipment is up to the challenge if you are.

The "trick" as you put it, is to recognize that radio transmitters are not plug-n-play fully automatic devices that you turn on "and they just work". I wish that were the case, but it is not. Instead, one has to understand how the equipment works, how RF works, and how various pieces of equipment work together or against each other. Pick the right frequencies for each separate wireless set and use them all properly and they should all play together nicely. Don't forget to silence the noise makers (cell phones, pagers, etc., and by silence I mean power them down so they cease talking to the cell phone towers).

Just remember that thousands and thousands of people are successfully using the Sennheiser wireless systems every day. If you aren't... do you really think it's the equipment?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 28, 2014 at 3:31:49 pm
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Nov 28, 2014 at 3:32:19 pm

Daniel,

If you want to get to the bottom of this, please answer the three questions I asked earlier.

Which frequency block did you buy? What CIty are you in? What frequency are the Lectros on?

Per Bruce, wires work better than wireless. Wireless is not plug and play.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Dec 5, 2014 at 3:36:19 pm

Sorry for the delay – for some reason it's insane in the office. This is usually our slow time but thing are blowing up this year (not complaining).

We fixed the problem! We took our sound guy's advice (he's a freelancer with gear) and bought 3 sets of the Lectrosonics 100 series. In doing research on the G3 system, we found repeated complaints about the same problem we're having and the solution was always more involved than we often have time for on set. The Lectrosonics have so far been very plug-and-play with not a single bit of interference. Of course they were twice the price (literally) but the aggravation saved on set is worth every penny.

We try to always outsource audio to a professional sound guy with gear. These are just in-house systems we bought for jobs with smaller budgets.

Thank you all so much for taking your time to offer help and advice. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]