FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any idea on solutions and best practices in leveling Dual mono vs Stereo standards in Broadcasting?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ja Garcia
Any idea on solutions and best practices in leveling Dual mono vs Stereo standards in Broadcasting?
on Nov 20, 2014 at 1:45:00 am

What are the best practice in scoring vs dialouge standards (in tv broadcasting)?

or

What are the best practices in Dual mono and Stereo standards in TV Broadcasting?

or

Thank you so much.

-JJJG

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Any idea on solutions and best practices in leveling Dual mono vs Stereo standards in Broadcasting?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:14:00 am

I don't understand your question... Dual mono can be treated as stereo but with no separation and the same the other way around.
Please expand your question of what you are trying to acheive.

Return to posts index

Ja Garcia
Re: Any idea on solutions and best practices in leveling Dual mono vs Stereo standards in Broadcasting?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:52:39 am

In our situation, we transmit either stereo or dual mono programs depending on our clients’ pushed files. What are the best practices to ensure my playout output will not cost audio fluctuation if the contents that I will be playing are combination of programs either dual mono or stereo audio? As broadcasters we want to solve this problem not by looking at the receivers end(cable network, household tv, international tv network that will air our files), but to enhance or modify through our transmitter.

Example scenario: We air programs that are combination of either stereo or dual mono but the receiver(old tv using antennas) usually relay mono. So if a stereo audio program is aired, the scenario will be the old tv will play mono. Because of this, there will be loss and sometimes fluctuating(changing) of sound levels will be observed.
As broadcasters we want to solve this issue not by looking at the receivers end but by what we can set or modify in our transmission side.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:33:52 am
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:34:39 am

I'm still not understanding where any audio fluctuations would be coming from?

For example; If I do a sporting outside broadcast it will have both Mono and stereo components in it.
Opening music (stereo) through to stand up hosting (dual mono) then into the match (mono spot Fx mics and stereo crowd Fx mics) with mono commentary over the top in the mix. This will provide a nice mix for anyone watching in stereo (with width) and in mono it will sound identical but without the width and spacial sound.

With ANY stereo production phase is a critical point, and needs to be monitored.
If in any program there are phase problems yes it will reflect in the Mono / Stereo compatibility, and if someone delivers a program with phase errors in it it should simply be rejected.....don't try and fix it, send it back to the production company.

Return to posts index

Ja Garcia
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:00:55 am

What will be the best practice so that an old tv can receive good or acceptable audio level?

Example: In some old TV if a program is aired as dual mono, the old tv(that has only 1 speaker) will add up the dual mono so the output will be a super high audio level. Then if a program is aired as stereo, the old tv with only 1 speaker will have the audio summed/mixed up but will not result to a super high audio level.

What best practice can we tweak or modify in our(broadcasting) side?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:13:12 am

I think you need to get across the technical side of broadcasting rather than the production side of broadcasting.
Sorry I can't help much with that, I've been on the production side for 30+ years and left the transmission to the technical people.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]