<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
boom pole monitoring options
on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:03:08 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:47:13 pm

What are our options for both corded and cordless
boom op monitoring.

our sd 302s receive signal wireless.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: boom pole monitoring options
on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:49:37 pm

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM55

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:57:18 pm

Not sure where the his/her came from (auto spell check maybe) but this is for the boom operator right?

Will the mixpre D be as good? and how would this work with a plug on transmitter or xlr going to mixer? do I use a xlr split cable? or IN the boom amp and OUT to the mixer? Or out the mixer to both the camera and boom amp?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Nov 18, 2014 at 1:32:06 am

Mixpre-D is rather "overkill" for boom operator monitoring. But if you have a big budget, then certainly go for it.
Mixpre-D is not really physically optimized for mounting on the boom where it is convenient for the operator to plug in mic and headphones and view it while booming.
Mixpre-D (or MM-1 Preamp) has the DIS-advantage of allowing the boom operator to control the mic signal. There may be some cases where that is desirable, but I suspect there are more cases where that is NOT desirable. Adjusting mic preamp sensitivity and output level should be the purview of the production sound person, not the boom operator (unless it is the same person doing both jobs).

All of the suggested devices would be placed INLINE between the microphone and either the cable to the mixer/recorder/camera, OR the transmitter.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 20, 2014 at 1:29:04 am

Thanks Richard. We own the mix pre Ds already and use them in post and under small cams or DSLRs for xlr connections and pre amp. However I do agree that they are a bit of an ergonomic problem for a boom pole operator and I agree that I do not want them overriding the audio tech operating the 302.

But I do want a way for the boom operators to hear what they are picking up. And in the process learn the effect of distance, aim, and pick up pattern.

The link to the pm55 shows the unit has a 'mike level' so isn't that the same as the SD pre or mm1? Or is it just amplifying the signal for monitoring and does not pass this through? Comes with a belt clip but you're suggesting it could be mounted on the boompole?

So inline would mean xlr from mike to pm55 then either xlr out or transmitter out to mixer?

Where/how would this be attached to boom pole so that the headphones inputs are in a good location?

Does the PM55 effect the pass through sound quality at all?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:00:55 am

If you look at the circuit schematic diagram of the Rolls PM55 (ref below) you will see that the microphone line connection is a PASSIVE, PASS-THROUGH where the "mic output" connects directly to the "mic input". That means that the PM55 does not alter the mic signal in any way.

That is the fundamental difference between using a device like the PM55 vs. an ordinary mic preamp, where the mic signal is amplified and can be changed. It also means that the actual mic preamp in the mixer (or recorder or camera) is supplying the phantom power for the microphone, and the PM55 simply does a "passive sample" of the mic signal without altering the audio signal OR whatever phantom power is being used.

Where you mount the box (whichever one you use) depends on many logistical conditions like how your boom pole is wired, whether you are using a hard cable vs. a wireless transmitter, etc. etc. And it also depends on the personal preference/ergonomics of the boom operator, and what kind of cable you have from the operator's headphones, etc. etc.

The PM55 is designed to not affect the microphone signal at all which is how it is fundamentally different than any mic preamp product.

PM55 Schematic: http://www.rolls.com/pdf/IS2_PM55.pdf

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:21:17 pm

Hello Craig,

How about…...http://tinyurl.com/kc664fr

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow AUdio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:27:18 am

We have the mixpre-Ds already. Not sure how much better suited the smaller mm-1 would be. Seems a similar advantage disadvantage for this application.

Where/how would you mount either? Can't imagine using a shoulder strap and trying to use a boom pole. Looked for a belt pack for it but didn't see one. And all the cases I see listed for these are really for larger mixers.

What devices are part of an industry standard boom op kit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]