FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 5.1 interleaved .wav from Compressor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Petersen
Exporting 5.1 interleaved .wav from Compressor
on Nov 8, 2014 at 10:54:39 am

Will the Dolby Digital 5.1 codec in Compressor interpret an 5.1 interleaved .wav file correctly when exporting from Compressor?
Or do I have to import each discrete channel separately and assign them to each channel?

I only have the interleaved file, so if it's not possible to export it directly, my next question is - what is the best/easiest way to separate the individual tracks in the interleaved file?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Exporting 5.1 interleaved .wav from Compressor
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:39:38 pm

You should go into Compressor with individual stems rather than an interleaved file. So I would open the interleaved WAV in QTPro, and Export to AIFF, using Discrete Channels. This will give you separate AIFFs of each channel to bring into the Multichannel Audio of Compressor.

Return to posts index

Anton Petersen
Re: Exporting 5.1 interleaved .wav from Compressor
on Nov 13, 2014 at 8:57:16 pm

The interleaved file is interpreted and exported correctly, so there is no need to import each discrete channel. I downloaded Audacity and the FFMpeg plugin to check the ac3 channels and they where identical to the original exept for minor overall level differences which seemed to be the result of a normalization of the channels - but that has to do with the DD 5.1 settings in the Inspector window.

Another major issue I dealt with was that I had made some minor cuts in the interleaved file while editing in Premiere so in order to have the video file and sound file exactly the same length in Encore I had to export it from Premiere in order to open it in compressor. I managed to do so by changing the channel settings from Stereo to 5.1 and exporting as an uncompressed 5.1 wav file. Neither the AIFF nor Quicktime codecs managed to export 5.1 without deleting some channels and ruining the surround. Don't know why that is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]