FORUMS: list search recent posts

788T vs. Nomad

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Carlson
788T vs. Nomad
on Nov 4, 2014 at 4:43:07 pm

Hi,

I know it's very subjective, but can anyone help me decide between the 788T and the Zaxcom Nomad field recorders? I've used the 788T quite a bit now, and have no complaints other than it seems you can't grab a CF from a 5D and format it in the 788 to use for audio. (firmware update?)
Don't know much about the nomad other than it's gaining popularity, and it seems to have some cool stuff like on-board wireless channels.

Please discuss!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: 788T vs. Nomad
on Nov 4, 2014 at 5:40:41 pm

Two different animals. The 788t is a recorder, the Nomad as you know is a mixer/recorder and a lot more flexible with way more bells & whistles than a 788t. I think your choice is clear.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:45:07 pm

Thanks for writing back Eric. Would you mind elaborating on your comments? I would say you can mix on the 788t, so I'm wondering why you say that, but we are essentially just wanting to track everything anyway in production, and mix in post.
And it would be great to hear what the best bells and whistles are on the Nomad--I'm looking for specifics as to how they contrast.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:19:05 am

You need to understand that I come from the old school where a recorder was only a recorder and a mixer was only a mixer and they were connected by XLR cables. If the 788t will do everything you need it to do for you then that's what you should buy.

OTOH look at what the Nomad offers, such as "Never Clip", Zaxnet and 6 real XLR inputs and think if any of those features will make your job easier. You should also look at the Sound Devices 664 or the smaller 633 before you put your money down on any one unit.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:12:24 am

"can anyone help me decide between the 788T and the Zaxcom Nomad field recorders?"

What are you planning to use them for?

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Nov 5, 2014 at 3:33:48 am

Bruce,
We normally just track each isolated boom, lav, etc. with good levels and then do most of the mixing in post. However, I do often patch inputs to extra tracks so the editor can have everything in one place, and if possible, I double up the tracks with one being 6dB higher so I can push it pretty hard and have backup if it clips. I'm pretty sure the 788 can also act as a mixer, and you can set levels for a mix independent of the isolated tracks, but we don't normally have any reason to do that. We also do multi cam setups with timecode.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 5, 2014 at 8:57:12 am

Kevin, I would suggest rather than just focusing on your 'normal' setup find out how others use gear. Become involved in other areas of the audio industry before you spend the big $$$$.
I come from a broadcast background where a 788T would be about as useful as a brick in live to air / news / program production. A friend borrowed money to buy a 788T and now admits it was one of his worst investments he had ever made......It a great machine but only in some uses.
Perhaps a SD664 might be a better option for you?
Are you going to actually get the paying jobs to cover your investment?

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:42:29 pm

Thanks for the advice Brian.

I have been doing pro audio for 15 years or so, but you're right, I do want to find out insight gained from others, especially about Zaxcom. I'm not a freelancer and my company actually has about 5 788Ts since we do so much audio work. I'm extremely happy with the 788T, just wanting to do the research and see if I'm missing anything that Zaxcom has to offer.

Almost nothing we do is actually live, but what does it lack that makes it useless for you?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:22:50 pm
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:24:14 pm

Most of my work as a freelancer are 'quick' shoots, for example news crosses, press conferences, interviews etc. Most of the shoots I do are either live to air feeding a camera and or ENG / SNG unit, If I do commercial production most times its just one or two mics either to a camera or recorder.
Often broadcast networks have a server based system where the raw material is ingested into the server and worked on ANYwhere across the network, multi track audio from a 788 or similar just doesn't seem to work in that workflow.
OK im not doing film or reality TV where post production work flows would be vastly different.
And yes I would like to upgrade my SD442 to a newer system but it would offer very little benefits for what I do.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:08:36 pm

Lately I've been using the SD 633 mixer/recorder on a doc, and love it. Six iso tracks, a stereo mix and aux tracks plus being able to record on both CF and SD cards at the same time gives me more than I need.

The 664 and 633's are part of the new mixer/recorder systems that seem to be the way companies like Sound Devices and Zaxcom are going. If you need more tracks then the 788T is the way to go. If not, then why spend that much extra money for something you may never truly need.

Best,

DCJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]