Recording audio in a large, uncarpeted studio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins
Recording audio in a large, uncarpeted studio
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:46:27 pm
Last Edited By Terry Nutkins on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:48:02 pm

Hi there,

I got some disappointing audio from a job in which I had to film and record audio in a large, uncarpeted studio with a hypercardiod mic and with the mic within arm's reach of each subject's mouth. The audio is decent, though far from perfect due to the room sound being heavy and riddled with reflections/echo.

The job has now had an extra day added to it, so I will have a chance to attempt to get better results this time - e.g. (and please correct me if I'm wrong) by laying down several duvets down to absorb reflections and by placing the mic closer to the subject (I could probably get as close as 10-12", rather than 18"+) to attenuate room noise.

However, I am concerned though that the new audio will sound completely different from the previous shoot, and may make the first batch seem less than perfectly recorded, rather than it just seeming that the room's acoustics are less than ideal.

Perhaps there is a way to make the initial recordings (i.e. six interviews out of ten) with a heavy room sound resemble the future recordings in post, or at this stage would it just be best to continue with the same method, making the same mistakes I am now having to learn from?

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Recording audio in a large, uncarpeted studio
on Nov 4, 2014 at 1:25:47 am

Hello Terry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

YOu could try to tighten up the tracks you recorded with iZotope RX3. Can't say how well you'll come out.

In the future, sound blankets on the floor under and in front of the talent.

C Stands with more sound blankets to the sides and perhaps overhead.

Get the mic as close as you can. 12" or closer. What mic are you using?

Sometimes a lav wins in this situation.

Best advice I can give, find another location with some decent acoustical treatment.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Recording audio in a large, uncarpeted studio
on Nov 4, 2014 at 2:31:24 pm

HI
If the room sounded lively to your ear when there, then thats exactly what youll get. A shed is a shed.
I doubt youll have much joy improving it in post.

Its like a coffee. If you dont want sugar in it, dont put it in in the 1st place, but you cant remove the sugar once added. Only make a fresh cup.

Ty is right about the sound blankets, but be clear, he means sound blankets, not blankets.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]