FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Microphone Set Up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brady Lovell
Wireless Microphone Set Up
on Oct 31, 2014 at 3:07:06 pm

I've been filming hunts for a while now, and would like to take it to the next level. I typically shoot with GoPros, and the audio on them is pointless. I'm usually hunting in groups of 3 - 4 people, and would like to hook up lavalier mics to each person, and record their audio. What's the absolute cheapest way of getting this done? I saw some mic set ups on ebay for $100 that had 4 lavalier mics with the attachable transmitter(?), and then it also came with a DVD player looking thing with 2 antena's on it. Not sure what it does, or if it's something that will work for me. If any of you have any advice, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Wireless Microphone Set Up
on Oct 31, 2014 at 8:16:58 pm

Generally, you get what you pay for. The general consensus is that a decent, reliable wireless kit (mic, transmitter, receiver) will cost >$500 each. The Sennheiser G3 (~$650) is often cited as the lowest-price decent wireless mic kit. There are units that cost up to 5x more than that, just so that you know what the ballpark looks like.

Even a $100 for ONE channel wireless kit is a cheap, fiddly, disposable, flimsy, plastic toy. It is hard to believe that anyone can sell a unit at $100 with FOUR channels that was even occasionally functional. If you have $100 to waste, go for it and report back to us.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Wireless Microphone Set Up
on Nov 1, 2014 at 4:25:52 pm

Miking four people with wireless kits will be expensive and complex. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=g3+kits&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=... Each of the four needs to be on a different frequency and the air is becoming filled with wireless usage so you need for each unit to be able to have frequency options to avoid interference. Then each of the four levels need to be individually adjusted (3 or 4 input field mixer) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=302+mixer&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&st... and if you mount a wireless mike on an active person you need to watch out for ruffling of the clothing and the speaker turning away from the mike. Also what happens when guns fire? Multicam syncing has become quite doable in post so you might consider individual recorders for each talent. Maybe check out the Zoom recorder options on bhphoto. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/buy/Portable-Digital-Recorders/N/3992462091Then look for lavs that will work for each zoom and a way to mount the zoom on the talent. I'd get one unit and check it out before investing too heavily. The ones with xlr inputs make for a more secure connection out in the wild.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]