FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Solution for shooting outside on a budget

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin GS
Audio Solution for shooting outside on a budget
on Oct 21, 2014 at 11:17:24 pm

Hi,

I am doing video semi professional. Sometimes I do fun projects, sometimes I do paid gigs. I am trying to find a good audio solution for shooting outside with actors. Here is my current situation:

I have been using the Zoom H1 with a lav mic ($30) which I had actors hide under their clothes. This can sometimes lead to muffled sound or scratching noises from the clothes. In a case like that I can't monitor the audio, since the recorder is hidden on the actor and/or my camera might be too far away. If I shoot inside (e.g. an interview), I do not have that problem since I have space, place, and a long mic cable so I can keep the recorder next to me. My question is how I can improve that situation outside. Since I do it semi professional, I do not want to spend thousands of dollars for high end audio solutions, but I do want to upgrade.

I do not have the team to use a shotgun mic on a boom. I was planning to upgrade to a Zoom H4N with a higher quality XLR lav mic. However, I am not sure if that will solve my problem or not. Another option are wireless mics but they are more difficult to hide and can come with their own issues. Are there any options for me out there I might not know exist?

Thanks
Benjamin

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Solution for shooting outside on a budget
on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:29:01 pm

Hello Benjamin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

It all depends on how low your quality levels are. Some folks just use the on-camera mic. Some folks add a mic with a suspension mount to a camera. Others use a light stand with a boom holding gimmick and boom from a distance. None of these really result in great sound, but maybe you don't need great sound.

Wireless mics and hardwired boom mics are industry standard. So is growing your crew along with your craft. Sounds like it's time to move up to the next level. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Benjamin GS
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:58:38 pm

Thanks Ty, I guess I will just have to step up my game then.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 7, 2015 at 5:25:26 pm

woah, you said nothing about sound quality when there is no cloth noise. Professionals use hidden mics too.
One trick is to create two triangles of tape made inside out that sandwich the mic and isolate it from the actor's clothes. You then place it in the chest cavity 5in below the mouth which has a natural space.

Return to posts index

Benjamin GS
on Jan 8, 2015 at 5:54:53 am

That is a great tip! Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]