FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using iPhones to monitor Zoom H4N audio remotely?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Franklin
Using iPhones to monitor Zoom H4N audio remotely?
on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:07:59 am

For a short film project, I will be filming a conversation between two people on a park bench. I'm recording the audio with two countryman lavs connected directly to a Zoom H4N via the XLR inputs. I will be capturing the video at a distance using a telephoto lens. As a result, I will be too far away to hear the dialogue naturally and too far away to connect a set of headphones to the H4N. I need to be able to hear the actors to give direction and I will be operating as a crew of one, so I can't stray from my camera.

I was wondering if there would be a way to use iPhones to create a kind of remote audio monitor. Could I connect one phone to the H4N to pick up the recording signal, then call another phone to listen to it remotely? If not, I wonder if there are any other DIY alternatives.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Using iPhones to monitor Zoom H4N audio remotely?
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:34:15 am

Hello Patrick and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Get a mono mix from the Zoom. Use a wireless mic to send it to a receiver. Choose a wireless receiver that has a headphone out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Oct 16, 2014 at 12:01:05 am

Ditto what Ty says, plus it might be good to send that to the camera too as a scratch track for syncing in post.

Return to posts index

John Scherf
on Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54:17 pm

Hey Patrick, just saw this today. New Tascam DR 44wl 4 track portable will stream audio wirelessly to your iphone ! also uses app to provide remote control of basic settings and controls...
Awesome idea even if only 4 channels. MAybe other manufacturers will jump on board.

Best,

John scherf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]