FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to detect if WAV recording on Nokia E71 has been edited / re-recorded on another program

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Asoka Korale
How to detect if WAV recording on Nokia E71 has been edited / re-recorded on another program
on Oct 5, 2014 at 3:38:06 am

Hi Gurus

I have been given a WAV file that is supposed to have been recorded on a Nokia E71 mobile phone.

I suspect that the WAV file I have received has been modified/edited on another software possibly after it was created (recorded) on the Nokia E71.

How can I establish this?

I have used a Hex editor to look at the WAV file but I am not very sure what each of the fields mean. Also I examined the file with Matlab audioinfo and it seems that the Nokia E71 may not be adding metadata to a audio recording but I am not sure.

I have a Nokia E71 and I have looked at a sample recording using a Hex editor but I am not sure what each of the fields mean and also if codec info and other details specific to a Nokia are added to a recording...

Thanks for your help
AK

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: How to detect if WAV recording on Nokia E71 has been edited / re-recorded on another program
on Oct 5, 2014 at 1:08:21 pm

The bit-format of a WAV file is described in, for example, the article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

Note that that Wikipedia observes that the WAV/RIFF format is not precisely defined, and there are several semi-legal variations. You could use this variability to your advantage to detect differences between the file in question and your reference file.

Note also that there are forensic "detectives" who specialize in this kind of analysis. If the issue is of sufficient importance (legally, financially, etc.) then you could consider hiring an expert.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]