FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio setup for workout videos

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shan Vellu
Audio setup for workout videos
on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:25:22 am

Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with a few setups for recording workout videos and was wondering if there is a better way to go around accomplishing this than the few methods I've experimenting with.

We've been using omnidirectional lavaliers, which has so far worked fine except for the fact that there are occasional dips in volume if the talent turns his or her head away from the camera (for example during an exercise stretch), and in some cases if the workout is a bit too intense, we pick up some mic bumps as well.

The second method is basically using two shotgun mics - one above the talent, and one on the ground, so if he or she has to do ground workouts we can still capture the instructions. Good thing is the audio is cleaner for sure, no unfavourable noises and such. The only issue with this is of course they are directional and thus there is a very specific radius of which the talent may speak, otherwise there is also a very audible dip in volume.

That being said - is there a better way of doing this?

I apologise in advance if my question doesn't make sense - English isn't my first language and I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the professional terms that may be used. :) Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Audio setup for workout videos
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:47:55 pm

The most popular and most logical modern solution is to use a headset microphone. It keeps the very small tip of the microphone wand right next to the subject's mouth and follows them wherever they turn or tilt their head. Far and away the best solution, IMHO.

Return to posts index

Shan Vellu
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:54:57 am

Thank you! I will look into this as well, it completely escaped me - although it does seem like the least visually pleasing option. :(

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 24, 2014 at 12:14:59 am

Many models are invisible except in extreme close-up shots.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:36:31 am

For workout videos regardless of the brand be sure to get the dual ear mounting system. The normal single ear mounting has a tendency to move around during workouts if there's a lot of head movement and can fly off the user unless tape is used to hold it in place.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:13:14 am

NeoPax Wireless Transmitter Belts

And countryman headsets are very flexible but hold rigid once fixed. different colors to match skin tones. Yeah the audience catches a glimpse of them from time to time. But they use them on broadway, at huge rock/dance tours almost every workout show on broadcast etc.

Have the talent adjust the headset while looking in a mirror - custom fit. You can't turn your head away from the mike the way you can a regular lav or boom.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]