FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turning Stereo into surround, well kind of

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Turning Stereo into surround, well kind of
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:08:39 am

I am involved in a experimental film (its 60 60 second segments made by different people who have no idea what each other are making). We have locked the picture and are starting the sound mix. The audio is baked in (i.e. a single stereo track for each segment).

We were thinning it may be interesting to have some of the stereo mix come through the L/R surround channel. Maybe 25% or 50% volume. When Digital Cinema Packages are made from stereo mixes the left and right channels are sometimes bounded to the centre channel so we thought it may work to do the same with the L/R surround. Anyone tried this, what do people thing. What percentage do you think will work?

Was also wondering if there was a way of taking the low frequencies from a stereo mix and create a sub-woofer channel. Any advice would be good.

Luckily we have a cinema to try this out but would love ot know what people thing.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Turning Stereo into surround, well kind of
on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:22:53 pm

Hey Ben,

Back in the day, I created some faux surround by putting two speakers behind me. To the left speaker behind me I fed the right channel, but reversed the polarity. To the right speaker behind me I fed the left channel, but reversed the polarity. I think I connected another across the + terminals of the front speakers and put it in the middle.

Does that help?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:17:26 pm

It is being played back in cinemas with full surround so it not a set-up question, its a 5.1 mixing question.

Was wondering if it was worth trying or would just be too weird.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 20, 2014 at 7:23:46 pm

There are plugins that claim to do stereo to 5.1. Waves makes one. I've never tried it, but take a look.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.2, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.1, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]