FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam DR-40 audio level suddenly low using lavelier

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Buck
Tascam DR-40 audio level suddenly low using lavelier
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:14:01 am

For some reason after working fine together for years, my DR-40 is not picking up my Sennheiser ME 2 lavalier, using the Sennheiser bodypack transmitter EK100 G2 c.

The audio is very, very low as if it were being attenuated down from line level. I have verified all these things already:

- the Sennheiser mic and bodypack work fine with other non DR-40 recorders
- the DR-40 works fine with other mics, like my Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic (with phantom power) or stick mics (with phantom power)
- other Sennheiser bodypack transmitters work fine with the DR-40
- I have reset all the settings to factory reset, changed all the batteries, tried all the frequencies/channels, tried all the recording settings, turned phantom power on and off, tried both inputs, swapped out all cables

Help? These worked fine together for years and each individual component, as I've said, has been tested/swapped out and works fine on its own.

Thanks,
James

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Tascam DR-40 audio level suddenly low using lavelier
on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:09:22 am

I see NO mention of receivers here anywhere? Your recorder should NOT pick up ANY wireless transmitter. You would need a RECEIVER to pick up the wireless signal, and then feed it into the recorder.

You talk about all these transmitters and microphones, but without similar details about the RECEIVERS, it is anybody's guess.

Return to posts index

James Buck
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:50:15 pm

The receivers are the matched pair as the transmitters, all the same info applies. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:45:07 pm

The most obvious detail would seem to be the output level setting of the receiver. Can you swap the microphones between bodypacks (transmitters). Are the transmitter/receiver sets in the same frequency band? i.e. can you try receiving different transmitters and going to different receivers?

The key to identifying the problem is to swap ONE thing at a time and see if it makes a difference or not:

Microphone -> Transmitter -> Receiver -> Recorder

Return to posts index

James Buck
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:16:34 pm

Thanks for the idea. I have tried the output level on the receiver and restoring all factory settings. I don't have another pack on the same frequency band.

BUT - a thought occurs.

The bodypack/transmitter work fine when I connect them to my laptop using a mini-to-mini cable.

The bodypack/transmitter DON'T work right when I connect to Tascam using a mini-to-XLR cable. I recently lost the original mini-to-XLR from Sennheiser and have been using a backup, which works fine in other situations.

Looking at Sennheiser's info, the audio out of the G3 receiver is 'unbalanced' and the original cable is meant to work with 'unbalanced' audio. I don't know what the replacement cable is. Could that be the issue?

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:44:55 am

The output connection on a G3 receiver is unbalanced & the mic level XLR input on the DR40 is balanced. Wired correctly the cable will have the positive going from the tip of the 3.5mm TRS connector & to pin 2 of the XLR. The cable shield/ground will go from the ground connection on the 3.5mm connector to pins 1 & 3 of the XLR. Open your XLR and check to make sure it's wired as I described. I've made hundreds of G2/3 output cables wired exactly like that and everyone works perfectly for the job.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

James Buck
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:45:02 pm

I ordered the original CL-100 from Germany, the blue one, not the newer one people say is cheaper. It was 10 Euros.

How do I open my XLR cable to look at it as you describe? Like, slice it open?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:00:30 am
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Aug 14, 2014 at 10:17:06 pm

Unscrew the rubber boot at the back of the XLR connector and push the connector block & the cable clamp out towards the back from the front of the connector.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:18:01 pm

Yes, your replacement cable sounds like a PRIME SUSPECT in this case.
As Mr. Toline explained, it must be wired in a particular way to work properly. This is no place for a random, generic cable.

Return to posts index

James Buck
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:39:29 pm

Thank you very much, I've ordered an original replacement. I didn't realize they would have different properties. I really appreciate the help sorting this out as it has been a major setback for me.

thanks all.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:37:44 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:41:45 pm

If you ordered the original Sennheiser cable it's not a matter of if it will fail but when. Every Sennheiser output cable I have made was as a replacement for the original Sennheiser cable. Their cable is not repairable as the connectors are molded onto the cable itself. Wondering what the new cable cost was?

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]