FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boosting on-camera audio to be usable.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Smith
Boosting on-camera audio to be usable.
on Aug 2, 2014 at 6:09:46 pm

Was filming an interview with someone recently and made a major error, a total balls up in fact;

I didn't hit record on the audio recorder, and didn't realise until afterwards.

So now I've just got the in-camera audio.

There's a little bit of background noise as it was outside a club, largely just people laughing and talking. The main problem is the guy sounds a little "distant" as you'd expect and there's little low-end on his voice. The latter isn't a big deal.

I need advice and tips on how to sort this out. I'm familiar with audio editing in terms of music and have the tools at my disposal, but I've never had to do something like this with voice before and I'm panicking a bit!

Advice very welcome!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Boosting on-camera audio to be usable.
on Aug 2, 2014 at 8:28:17 pm

You have what you have. As you say, because of the distance of the microphone, your Signal to Noise ratio is compromised. Your Signal is too low (because of the distance), and your Noise is too high (because of the lower than optimal Signal level.)

There is no magic bullet here. You can try "gating" the dialog so that the background noise is reduced in between words, etc.

In the future, be sure to connect the good audio into the camera also, so that the camera has a TRUE backup of the proper audio track.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Boosting on-camera audio to be usable.
on Aug 3, 2014 at 12:20:06 pm

Hello Mike and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Can you post some of the audio somewhere so we can have a listen?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]