FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N + Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
india cita
Zoom H4N + Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:36:01 pm

Hello.

I am looking for some advice for the audio setup of a micro budget DSLR shoot I am about to embark on. I am a newbie re audio recording.

We are going to shoot a conversation between two people (both will appear). We are a crew of 2.

I have 2 DSLRs, 1 x Zoom H4N, 2 x Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3's, and 1 x Rode VideoMic.

I was imagining that I would put a lav mic on each of the subjects. They will be standing in front of various objects and discussing them.
I was hoping to place the Zoom in front of them below shot. I thought it would be sensible to record the overall sound with the inbuilt mic on the Zoom as well as the sound from the lav mics. I understand that I can use the 4CH recording mode on the Zoom to record and monitor the sound from the stereo onboard mic, whilst also recording the [1] and [2] external inputs.

I might use the Rode VideoMic on one of the cameras, simply as a backup.

I have a few concerns -

1. Is it possible to plug 2 separate wireless mic kits into the Zoom H4N at the same time - via the XLR [1] and [2] inputs ?

2. Is it sensible to use one lav mic per subject to get good sound from their conversation?

3. Should I be using the XLR inputs on the Zoom for the Sennheiser ?

Any advice about the proposed setup or suggestions for more appropriate alternatives much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Zoom H4N + Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3
on Jun 27, 2014 at 12:59:11 pm

put the 2 radio mics xlrs into the zoom, and TEST the recording. Adjust the record levels, re test and `LISTEN back to the recordings.
Use Headphones THROUGHOUT. Dont take them off.
Get the sound RIGHT at the shoot by investing time and effort in it. It will let you down if you take your eyes off it for a moment.
Dont leave set without good, checked recordings and re takes on all problem parts that you identified during recording.

IF you want an ambient recording too, put the zoom into 4 track mode and place out of shot and make recordings of the onboard mics also.

Peter
Oh and did I mention WEAR the Headphones!!! - Bin the camera before you bin the cans. Clear?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

india cita
on Jun 28, 2014 at 10:39:30 pm

thanks peter.

wanted to get advice because haven't used radio mics before and we won't have access to them until hours before the shoot.

i understand the Zoom has a pre-amp circuit - I want to make sure I get the levels set to get good clear sound from the G3's - I think I have to dial the G3's down to mic level for input through the Zoom XLR circuit.

anyway - you're right - adjust / re-test / listen.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 29, 2014 at 10:16:14 am

I have a few sets of sennheiser g3 personally and always use this as my starting point

Transmitter mic set to -21
receiver outpou set to 0.

That will give you a sensible mic level output with nothing being driven too close to its maxes.
Then look at the zoom. Turn off phantom. Turn off linking. set input 1 and 2 levels independently.
Also find out what type of mics are fited to your units. If they are OMNI then Id recommend mounting inverted! That way you dont get nasal air blasting down the capsule, or plosives from the mouth if the speaker looks down at a device etc while talking, but the audio will remain un changed.
Peter

Return to posts index

india cita
on Jul 1, 2014 at 12:39:59 am

thanks peter.

we have now access to the G3's so have been testing and listening and adjusting.

the settings we used are similar to as you suggested, but we ended up with the following:

tx sensitivity -21
rx AF out -12
squelch low

one G3 was set to Bank 5, Channel 1, and the other was set to Bank 5, Channel 2.

the H4N is set to 4CH Record Mode.

the onboard stereo mics are set to 60 record level,
the G3s are set to around 50 record level on the Zoom.

it all works decently.
the only issue is a sort of hiss heard through the Zoom on the headphones.
initially thought it was affected by the G3's but now not so sure.
have disconnected the G3s, turned off the transmitters+receivers, and switched the record mode to Stereo....

but there is still a hiss. the hiss increases a good deal when the record level goes above 50.
however it doesn't reduce much, even with the level reduced way down.

any ideas about this? could it be the headphones? or is it just the Zoom?

many thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:56:07 am

Ok
I'd say the neg value on the receiver op won't be doing anything to help the hiss as you're just moving the recording closer to the zoom noise floor.
The input preamps on a zoom aren't regarded as the greatest ever ( they are very cheap units) but decent results can be had by adjusting.
If you've no pads on the inputs don't try to record too high. They will distort.
I have -15dbxlr pads on the inputs to help with thus but I run my tx at zero.
The radio banks need to be set I. Accordance with he local licensing arrangements.
I'm in the uk so we have to be in bank 1 but I can't speak for you.
When you get to location do re scan the radios and check for any local interference .
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]